Honda CB1000R Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've used the quad lock for nearly 3 years and never had camera issues and that was on a ZX6R with hard suspension with iphone and S21. And 70 notes for a wireless charger is just too much for me just to save plugging a cable in. The cable is out the way and the USB socket is out the way. I've just brought a short cable off ebay for 3 quid.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well you don't know, they only way you'll know is if you don't buy one and your camera breaks but then it's too late. My view on it is an issue was raised and instead of adding a fix to the product they sold it as an optional extra. So by not having the damper you take the risk of a broken camera thus they can sell the damper and make more money because people don't want broken cameras or take the risk of not using one. I think the guy before said you need one, well if you need one it should be included with the product because it's needed. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
personally, I have used the Quad lock without vibration damper on a GSX-R750 and now my CB1000R ('19 model). I have only ever had Samsung phones and they (so far) have broken. I have covered over 5000miles on CB1000 and every mile the phone mounted and connected. My mount is very similar to that which smokey have done, I also have the USB adapter wired in, but not the wireless charger..

Of course that doesn't mean your phone will not fail, just my experiences.

as again personally speaking, I don't think the vibration damper should be included. I wouldn't use it so would be paying for something I don't want..

I have also used the quadlock on push-bikes, but not covered nearly the same miles.. ;-)

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I have a phone that has mechanical stabilization on the camera. Unfortunately, due to vibrations in the handlebars, I had to have the camera repaired twice. I'm looking for a holder that eliminates vibration.
What is your experience? Otherwise I have an Iphone XS.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can buy an optional dampener for the quad lock for about £15 that's supposed to sort the issue out if you already have a quad lock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
And is there any experience with a vibration damper?
Yes, I got the quad lock vibration damper for mine and it’s absolutely fine.
When I first got the quad lock I’d not immediately noticed their recommendation, so ordered the mount separately and damper a few of days later.
When the mount arrived I was impatient to try it and it killed my iPhone 12 after a couple of rides.
No issues in hundreds of miles with the damper fitted though. Well worth it.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Yes, I got the quad lock vibration damper for mine and it’s absolutely fine.
When I first got the quad lock I’d not immediately noticed their recommendation, so ordered the mount separately and damper a few of days later.
When the mount arrived I was impatient to try it and it killed my iPhone 12 after a couple of rides.
No issues in hundreds of miles with the damper fitted though. Well worth it.
Thank you for the information

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have mine on all the time. It’s a bit of a pain as I’d got a shiny new D3O case I really like about three days before I discovered the quad lock.

I thought at first I’d just swap to the QL whenever I go out, but I tend to use the bike as often as I can and I’m using Calimoto to discover loads of new back roads near home (I’mback to biking after a big gap).

I also thought If I’m always in and out of the case eventually the case will wear/soften and didn’t want to be riding along and the phone fall out of the case! I admit that’s probably an over concern on my part. But swapping case each time is just one more bit of faff between me and the road. I’ve got used to the bump on the back of the case fairly quick. It’s surprisingly subtle for somethingso effective

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
"I also thought If I’m always in and out of the case eventually the case will wear/soften and didn’t want to be riding along and the phone fall out of the case! I admit that’s probably an over concern on my part. "

nah that is my thinking as well!

ps Calimoto is awesome ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
do you guys keep the quadlock case on all the time or only on rideouts?
No, only rideouts. Too bulky for my liking.

I went for a ride out today with my phone attached to my Quadlock, went to take some pics of the views and everything was blurred. Thought my camera was gone. Luckily it was just finger prints on the lens cover.

·
Registered
52 Posts
"I also thought If I’m always in and out of the case eventually the case will wear/soften and didn’t want to be riding along and the phone fall out of the case! I admit that’s probably an over concern on my part. "

nah that is my thinking as well!

ps Calimoto is awesome ;)
While I kind of like Calimoto some of the roads it sends me down are just shite. The route it sent me on Sunday just gone was okay unitl I got to some narrow country roads littered with pot holes and gravel, no thank you.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
While I kind of like Calimoto some of the roads it sends me down are just shite. The route it sent me on Sunday just gone was okay unitl I got to some narrow country roads littered with pot holes and gravel, no thank you.
yeah i have found that it does that sometimes as well! I use the webapp to plan a route and add waypoints to avoid going through too narrow roads

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, well, I spoke too soon. My S21 is going in for repair on Thursday, camera won't auto focus no more. Have ordered the vibration dampener now, which as far as I'm concerned should be a necessity and come with the mount and not be an optional extra.

Oxford have their own mount out now it would seem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a cheap aluminium mtb mount - try it out on mtb first for robustness ! Get one with curved support for phone at bottom in case it vibrates a bit loose (been there done it !).Stick a bit of rubber sheet on points that contact phone. Fine with cheap android phone for vibrations - while your at it get a cheap android spare anyway to use as gps and payg sim then don't worry about rain, theft etc and keep your good one in jacket, gives backup if battery runs flat too !
Something like: MTB Bike Bicycle Phone Holder Bracket Cycling Handlebar Clip Phone Mount UK | eBay

21 - 39 of 39 Posts