Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A pal gave me a super white xenon bulb for headlight.
Not sure if it`s too high powered for damage to wiring or headlight lense.
The bulb is H4 100/90w, :help :help I know it should be a 60/55 but as I know nothing about lights or wiring any info would be helpful :respekt

·
Registered
892 Posts
I wouldnt fit it, it will melt the plastic, you can get a HID conversion for £70
or get a Lamp from HG shop on Blandford street 30% brighter & safe!

·
Administrator
7,101 Posts
That sort of additional wattage would cause too much strain on the wiring too-at 12 volts it's a fair few extra amps.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I fitted 100/90 to misscb1's bike, but after feeling the light I decided against it.
It's now fitted with those 30% brighter ones with a blue tint.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Read somewhere that if you fit a more powerful (higher wattage) bulb, it not only can damage plastic lens/wiring, but on some bikes can bugger up the switches as they are only rated for the OEM bulb (keep costs down). Best option is like most on this site, keep with the same wattage but go for brighter/whiter replacement bulb, or better still upgrade to HID Zenon lights.

·
Administrator
7,101 Posts
Rabbit said:
Read somewhere that if you fit a more powerful (higher wattage) bulb, it not only can damage plastic lens/wiring, but on some bikes can bugger up the switches as they are only rated for the OEM bulb (keep costs down). Best option is like most on this site, keep with the same wattage but go for brighter/whiter replacement bulb, or better still upgrade to HID Zenon lights.
x2 on that. Also the alternator will be working very hard just to power a 100 watt bulb-there would be little or no current left to charge the battery which would then soon go flat. :thumbdown

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bottom line guys... What's the latest and current greatest

Brightest for illuminating?

Without harming wiring , battery functon, plastic or looks... Must be a replacement bulb.

Every OEM mechanic has a separate opinion.

Any benefit for white vs. blue light?

Any opinions on which is casting a wider swath for tight turns?

Any one ever fit a fork mounted set down low like the rally hikes, or sport cruisers like some tricked out x country BMW GS 1200s do?

Any pictures?

Advisable?
Looks are not as important as having option to light up road like its a football stadium

·
Registered
364 Posts
I fitted 55/100 w years ago to a fzr but the lenses were glass and the bike ran normal even on high beam but higher wattage bulbs can sometimes effect the beam pattern sometimes leaving blackspots in the centre

·
Registered
156 Posts
Fit a HID kit.
Much more candelas.
More light, more visibility.
But you will still get morons pulling out on you, side swipping you or just not seeing you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts