Honda CB1000R Forum banner

Wont start with side stand down!!

12K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  JA5ON71 
#1 ·
Hi all,having an issue where the bike won’t start when side stand is down,it turns over just fine but wont fire?
As soon as i sit on bike click side stand up push the starter bike fires up no problem and will continue to run if i then put the side stand down? The neutral light is coming on the dash and it is the same hot or cold.
Bike is 2008 with 9500miles

#4 ·
Part number 31730-MAS-601. Same part for UK and US bikes.

According to your description, the side stand switch is working fine. If it wasn't working, moving the side stand wouldn't make any difference.

#7 ·
It's part of the safety interlock system that prevents the engine from starting or running depending on circumstances.

Here are the two circuits that use it:

Text Diagram Plan Drawing Technical drawing

Text Diagram Drawing Technical drawing Schematic

For contrast, here is a diagram from a Suzuki. This bike will not start unless the clutch lever is pulled regardless of neutral position. It's kind of annoying when you are used to Hondas.

Text Diagram Drawing Design Plan

#9 · (Edited)
Mine does exactly this!

I did check my diode and forward voltage was 0.507 on both using the diode setting of my multimeter, outside pins to centre, no pass through from centre to outer pins, so I didn't bother buying another. Maybe I'll just try the basic continuity test the manual suggests. Or stop being tight and just try one lol (they're £30 here :eek: £5.50 in the states but they want £25 to ship it)

I think I came to the conclusion that the starter safety circuit affected the starter motor, but as ours turns over (and the neutral light is on) that the circuit was working ok.

Fattybolatty, another trick is to open the throttle to max, hold starter for a second or two, keep holding starter and release throttle. Would love to know if that works on yours too.
Holding throttle wide open turns off fuel for clearing a flooded engine so it won't start and redline doing this.

edit: DeLUTH: Looking at that schematic and routing diagram, does that imply that the sidestand relay is the same one as the turn signal relay? Wonder if that's my problem as I had to fit an LED compatible one.

#10 ·
As I said, that last one is a Suzuki schematic, jonsky. The first two are for the CB. Our flasher relay is only connected to the indicators. Sorry for the confusion.

#16 ·
Hi folks,

I know this topic has been completely beaten to death over and over again, but I have been experiencing the exact issue with starting the bike with the sidestand down - the bike continuously turns over. Kickstand up, however, no problem. I've gone through pretty much every post regarding the subject, I think.

So far, I've replaced the battery, the sidestand switch, and the diode. I went to the dealership last week for a tire replacement, and they told me with "near certainty" that it was my Power Commander that was causing the issue, but I cannot seem to understand how the sidestand switch can impact anything. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious that was posted here before...

Thanks!

#20 ·
When you say won't start, do you mean won't run or won't turn over?

Does the neutral indicator on the meter work correctly?

#21 ·
Hi, the bike turns over ok but just won’t fire with the stand down, when I lift the bike up and kick the stand up it fires up no problem I changed the diode as believed this was the faulty part but hasn’t made any difference could it be the stand switch ?
any suggestions would be appreciated.

#22 · (Edited)
We know the side stand switch works because the engine runs with it up. Can't be that.

The neutral switch can have high resistance that will allow the led to light on the dash to work but not allow it to run. Fun stuff!

Beat on the switch and it might make contact enough to run and verify the issue if you can't take a resistance measurement.

#23 ·
Sorry for long delay in replying after changing the diode side stand switch both which didn't sort out the issue I decided to change the neutral switch located on the rear of the engine that has done the trick, carried out the work myself and took me about a hour, starting issue fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.