Honda CB1000R Forum banner

Winter & regular starting.

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  doser 
#1 ·
Being a fair weather biker, the bike has long periods of no use, maybe many weeks, at this time of year. The bike is garaged and the battery charged regularly. Do those of you in a similar situation give the bike a start and warm through occasionally or just leave it until you ride it again? It appears from some investigations that there maybe benefits and drawbacks to either option.
Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
I typically try to ride at least 1 time a week on the off season to keep them ridden, but that cant always happen. If it has been a couple weeks / a month then yes I will start and run the bike on a warmer (above freezing) day maybe even roll it a little so its not sitting on the same section of tire. I have never been one to leave my battery tenders on ALL the time when I don't ride, but I will at least plug them in weekly for awhile. My reason for starting them is to just keep the fuel and fluids moving .etc. No science behind it just a personal preference of mine.

#3 ·
some winters I've just 'shelved' the bike, in which case I add some fuel stabilizer, plug in a battery tender, and walk away till spring. other times, I've stayed active thru winter, and if there is a particularly long non-riding cold spell, I'll fire the bike up after a couple weeks. when I do so, I run it long enough to be totally, thoroughly warmed, i.e., until the coolant temp exceeds 103-104 degrees C and the fan comes on. I have no evidence that this is 'best', but I don't believe in half measures...

#4 ·
That's exactly what I used to do and have had a totally trouble free ten years. As long as the bike is in a dry environment that's basically all that's needed. ( the bike was sold last week with only the second battery on it too. )

#6 ·
WOW. what on earth were you using as fuel ???--------Can't be Hondas fault as they must have made millions of bikes over the years and I've never heard of a dissolving petrol pump.

#10 ·
for me winter storage. i never start the bike over winter for 5-6 months for one reason only starting the bike once per week for approx 10 minutes is...moisture.. yes you get the fluids moving but 6 month wont harm sat.if you bike is in cold garage or outside all this does is fill the engine with moisture until the engine reaches the outside temperature or cold garage temp..and your just left with water just sat in the engine until you go and burn it of riding...and whats left is the white grease i am sure you all have seen before..not good for bearings..if your bike is sat more than 6 months years then yes..as you dont want seized engine..if your garage is heated then above would not matter..i also put fuel stabilizer in over winter.. and when i come to the bike after 6 months it starts first time every time.. and they is know white grease in my oil level glass ever after storage.. i have done this for every bike i own and never had seized engine...but everyone has there own way who is right or wrong who knows
but it worked for me..:thumbup

#13 ·
Well due to personal issues and not wanting to sell the bike, it's been kept in the garage for just over 3 years.
kept on a stand with reduced tyre pressures. Trickle charge left on and bike under breathable cover.
I start it up and go through gears. Once cooling fan runs, then stops, it,s all turned off and covered back up.
..so far had no issues at all...even the petrol still good!

#14 ·
Well, all the above ideas seem to have worked so take your pick.---;)

#15 ·
Living in Texas I ride year round. Just got back from an 80 mile ride with temp at 33 F. I know this is impossible to do in other parts of the USA and abroad, so as others have said I would just roll her around a bit while letting her fans cycle a couple times and battery tender. I do this every winter to my 919 (no heated grips like cb100r) and it appreciates it! But what the heck do I know? Great ideas out here though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.