Honda CB1000R Forum banner

Who's been to COTA in Austin? Details please?

971 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Reynolds 
#1 ·
Greetings fellow CB1000R owners. Hope the holidays are wonderful for us all.

So I may be arranging a trip to Austin in April. Give me all the juicy details on COTA. Is it easy to get around? Good seating for fans? Pit pass available? Etc...

Whatever you think will tell me what to expect.

🌝🌛

#2 ·
Greetings fellow CB1000R owners. Hope the holidays are wonderful for us all.

So I may be arranging a trip to Austin in April. Give me all the juicy details on COTA. Is it easy to get around? Good seating for fans? Pit pass available? Etc...

Whatever you think will tell me what to expect.

🌝🌛
My wife bought us tickets to go in 2018 and we had a great time. She bought this package: 2021 MotoGP Grand Prix of The Americas Tickets | Paddock Building We were able to walk all around the track, go up into the high tower (cutting to the front of the line) all the food and drink you want. The downside was that if you wanted food and drink you had to be in the suites above the paddock, but I also wanted to be out at some of the turns for better live viewing. So, I would grab some food and drink, then take a walk to this corner or that for the practice sessions and such.

The question of course for this year is what protocols will be in place.

#3 ·
I live in Austin and went to the inaugural event. The regular seating is rather small, and I feel that most of it is bench seating. I thought it was a bit of a waste to buy the seat when we were walking around most of the race checking out all the corners and sights, the track is beautiful I can't imagine not wanting to explore every part. The GA pass is a good bit cheaper as well. There are also paddock passes and a number of seating options that look rather cool.

When I went the entry gates were limited to one location on the track, so if you had seats in turns 10 or 11(which I did) then you had a mile walk to your seats from the main gate. That's been addressed since, along with parking to some degree. I don't think I would recommend parking at the track, since the track is in a rural location with smaller country roads to service 120,000+ people. There are shuttles from downtown and park and ride options 3 miles from the track that are faster and considerably cheaper than the track parking. And if you like to drink, the shuttle is a good option.

#4 ·
I've gone every year since they started coming to Austin. I get the GA pass, park in T-lot. Traffic really isn't a problem. Usually spend the practices moving from corner to corner to get all the different perspectives while listening to the "live" commentary from Motogp.com or following their live timing on my phone. There isn't good PA audio or great jumbo screen coverage at most corners around the track so keeping up with what's happening will depend on whether you get cell coverage. It gets spotty due to the heavy load on the towers near the track, especially on Sunday. For race day my preference is to post up at a corner I like that has a big screen set up, as most of the race won't be visible from any one vantage point. 2c.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.