Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been reading through all of the threads related to the whining noise from a potentially over tightened chain.

I have not read anything about snatchy / shunting / shuddering in the drive. I experience really bad snatchy feeling at low speeds either when accelerating from stand still and then slowing down to stand still. As soon as I'm about 50% or over on the accelerator I cant feel it anymore.

Bke: +- 7500 KM, stock standard, standard silencer. Have been struggling with chain tension, whining noise and trying to get it riding smoothly.

When I first got it in September last year I was on the forum checking the stock fuelling issues that guys report, but it doesn't seem to be that.

I know that its a short bike and geared short, but the lack of smooth pull off and slow down makes me feather the clutch a lot at low speeds, and is just horrible to ride in the city. Back roads its glorious, just need a slip on so it doesn't sound like an electric bike.

I have not checked the chain for tight spots and when thinking of the sprocket bearing I just cringe.

I will be taking it in to Honda to ask their opinion but its not under warranty. I am hoping its just the chain and will have to replace.

So, has anyone else experience this snatchy-ness that I am?

Cheers

·
Administrator
4,051 Posts
.. I bought my bike with 2800 miles on it and the chain was f&*%ked !!!

I'm not sure why - whether it was down to bad maintenance, cheapo oem gear, or someone over tightening it I'm not sure - it had a horrendous tight spot which made adjusting the chain a real faff. It was rusty as well and full of crap which even cleaning couldn't sort out.

In the end I bought brand new oem sprockets and a renthal chain - I keep them meticulously clean ( I hope) and lubed and keep an eye on the adjustment.

The chain for me, requires careful adjustment so that it's not too tight (which causes the whine), but also not slack enough to cause any snatching on the throttle.

Doing this has got me 7000 plus miles with hardly any adjustment and it all still seems to be running well.

I just made a very minor adjustment after 2000 miles (lubing every couple of hundred miles and checking, cleaning about every 4-500 miles) - this is best done with the bike on the side stand and making some allowance for the increased tension the chain will be under when a f*t git like me is sat on it...

I find that the chain is so easy to adjust that it's worth spending the extra time just checking and making sure the tension seems right ...

After a few attempts you'll get a feel for it and know what kind of adjustment you need to consider.

hope that helps ! :thumbup

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Adjust chain to 25/35mm at tightest spot. Fit aftermarket exhaust and K&N air filter. Bike will be smoother than a smooth thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, thanks guys.

Sovrec, thanks for the advice. I think its time to go and get a new chain and sprockets (i have heard its best to do sprockets and chain at once) and my back tire needs replacing tooe :( expensive time! Yes it is super easy to adjust, i'm going to keep adjusting and find the sweet spot. I jjust find it weird that the bike needs a chain after such low mileage...? crazy.

Squidger, yes, I am planning on getting a slip on, probably the ixil hyper low. I live in South Africa and it is horrendously expensive to import parts so I am waiting until I travel to europe later this year to pick on up. If you replace the pipe and air filer, is it necessary to get a power commander and remap?

Thanks again for your help, I was beginning to think I had made the wrong decision when choosing the CB1000R over the Street Triple. A mate has one with an arrows exhaust and man does it sound good and the engine has much more character than the bland (read: silent) Honda mill. Dont get me wrong, powerful and torquey as hell but just so clinical.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just another note, I do not hear a wining noise, its more of a humming which might even come from the tires. My rear is very worn and will be replaced soon.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I've got an Ixill Hyperlo exhaust and K&N filter on mine and havn't fitted a powercommander. Fuelling feels good and spark plugs are nice light biscuit brown colour so mixture is good.

·
Administrator
4,051 Posts
Just another note, I do not hear a wining noise, its more of a humming which might even come from the tires. My rear is very worn and will be replaced soon.
Yes, I have a noisy front tyre that gives off a right sound - do check your front wheel bearings tho - that can cause a humming also...

·
Registered
259 Posts
.. I bought my bike with 2800 miles on it and the chain was f&*%ked !!!

I'm not sure why - whether it was down to bad maintenance, cheapo oem gear, or someone over tightening it I'm not sure - it had a horrendous tight spot which made adjusting the chain a real faff. It was rusty as well and full of crap which even cleaning couldn't sort out.

In the end I bought brand new oem sprockets and a renthal chain - I keep them meticulously clean ( I hope) and lubed and keep an eye on the adjustment.

The chain for me, requires careful adjustment so that it's not too tight (which causes the whine), but also not slack enough to cause any snatching on the throttle.

Doing this has got me 7000 plus miles with hardly any adjustment and it all still seems to be running well.

I just made a very minor adjustment after 2000 miles (lubing every couple of hundred miles and checking, cleaning about every 4-500 miles) - this is best done with the bike on the side stand and making some allowance for the increased tension the chain will be under when a f*t git like me is sat on it...

I find that the chain is so easy to adjust that it's worth spending the extra time just checking and making sure the tension seems right ...

After a few attempts you'll get a feel for it and know what kind of adjustment you need to consider.

hope that helps ! :thumbup
Totally agree with sovrec here; bought mine with just 523miles on it and its got the worst tight spot I've ever had on any bike. Gotta be out of true nasty oe sprocket(s) really. Mirrored sovrec with the meticulous adjustment thing, spent ages identifying the tight spot and got my lad to sit on it while I adjusted it just so. Even put a little mark on sprocket in the hope I can find the tight spot easier next time- we'll see! Reckon quality aftermarket products is the real answer.
Given Honda's (supposed) reputation for build quality, they're not immune to bolting some shite onto their bikes.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
..I'm not sure why - whether it was down to bad maintenance, cheapo oem gear, or someone over tightening it I'm not sure - it had a horrendous tight spot which made adjusting the chain a real faff. It was rusty as well and full of crap which even cleaning couldn't sort out.
:thumbup
Don't think that is the case as my chain was 224 miles old when I bought the bike and its now done 4000. I feel the original equipment is of pretty good quality.
Poor maintenance would be my guess as I do lube (!!!) before every ride :p

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Totally agree with sovrec here; bought mine with just 523miles on it and its got the worst tight spot I've ever had on any bike. Gotta be out of true nasty oe sprocket(s) really. Mirrored sovrec with the meticulous adjustment thing, spent ages identifying the tight spot and got my lad to sit on it while I adjusted it just so. Even put a little mark on sprocket in the hope I can find the tight spot easier next time- we'll see! Reckon quality aftermarket products is the real answer.
Given Honda's (supposed) reputation for build quality, they're not immune to bolting some shite onto their bikes.
I know what you mean by oval sprockets (or eccentric placement) but in reality it is usually the chain that has stretched in one place.

Your little mark idea won't work as usually the multiples of the sprocket teeth don't, by intention, divide into each other (i.e. 15 - 45 would 16 - 45 wouldn't can't remember CB's numbers). This is so that the wear is shared around the whole circumference rather than in one spot.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I know what you mean by oval sprockets (or eccentric placement) but in reality it is usually the chain that has stretched in one place.

Your little mark idea won't work as usually the multiples of the sprocket teeth don't, by intention, divide into each other (i.e. 15 - 45 would 16 - 45 wouldn't can't remember CB's numbers). This is so that the wear is shared around the whole circumference rather than in one spot.
yeah,yeah I know wot you're saying ( engineer by trade,see) BUT I did point out the mileage had just broken 500miles when I tackled the issue; I doubt there could be any significant wear anywhere given it had only just been run in by the old fart first owner. So I'm still going with out of true sprocket( at the moment!)
But if it does turn out to be that the chain that has stretched unevenly after just 500 gentle miles, then my original conclusion still stands; Honda really do bolt some shite on their bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts