Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunlop Sportmax D214 are OEM on my bike. I'd like to hear impressions from experienced riders, with no chicken strips, on these tires.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine has the Bridgestone S21R's that I find super stickey. I hear the S22's are even better. So, I might go that route soon.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine has the Bridgestone S21R's that I find super stickey. I hear the S22's are even better. So, I might go that route soon.

Yup, I'll be switching to Bridgestones once I wear the Dunlops out. Have always been satisfied with BATTLAX. I'll probably do S22 Front, T31 Rear.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Had to go check out the T31. With my previous experience with Michelin PR2's and PR3's, I'd go that route if I wanted a sport touring tire. I'd buy the PR2's when the PR4's were already released because the price was better. Never received and old tire. Mostly around six months. I still might go that route too.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had to go check out the T31. With my previous experience with Michelin PR2's and PR3's, I'd go that route if I wanted a sport touring tire. I'd buy the PR2's when the PR4's were already released because the price was better. Never received and old tire. Mostly around six months. I still might go that route too.
I always used T31 Rear on my 2014, could even get my knee down on the street.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Good to know. The T31 sounds like a decent tire. How does it do in 30-degree temps? Asking because with my former Z1K, I put on a Dunlop Roadsmart. Later I put a Roadsmart II on the Concours 14. With both bikes I felt the back slip on cold pavement--so, I most likely won't be going back to the Roadsmarts.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So this elevated ramp, in the attachment, from North to West has been part of my commute since 2009. I've hit it hundreds of times on different bikes and tires. The posted recommended speed for this turn is 35mph. I regularly enter and maintain at least 75 mph throughout the double apex. I didn't have any reason not to trust the Dunlops, so I rode as usual on my new Neo Sports Cafe. The first time I felt the bike slip and thought something might have been spilled on the ramp. Because of one thing or another I didn't take the bike to work until a week later with a little over 500 miles on the clock. Entered the ramp at 75mph and as I hit the apex I felt the rear step out. Then the next day, after riding for 25 miles at 75mph, sunny and 60 degrees F, I accelerated and went around a car on a straight feeder road and the rear spun up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know. The T31 sounds like a decent tire. How does it do in 30-degree temps? Asking because with my former Z1K, I put on a Dunlop Roadsmart. Later I put a Roadsmart II on the Concours 14. With both bikes I felt the back slip on cold pavement--so, I most likely won't be going back to the Roadsmarts.
It only hits 30 maybe once or twice a year in Houston. I've ridden that tire in freezing temps with no issues. See my post in this thread with the PDF of the ramp on my commute.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So headed home today, 57 degrees F and sunny. Front slipped on a right hand sweeper I've been on hundreds of times. These must be summer tires because I can't believe Dunlop would produce such a horrible tire unless it's not meant for air temps below 70 degrees F.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spurg didn't like the d214 tires either.
They no longer exist on Dunlop's website so they must have been discontinued, for good reason. I believe I had Qualifiers as OEM on a bike and I didn't have any issues with them.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
18 Posts
I bought my CB in November; it's currently waiting in the garage for Spring to arrive. It has the Dunlops and I've already been eyeing the Michelin Road 5.

Should I take it easy on the Dunlops for 3,500 miles... or get the Michelins now while it's sitting and sell the Dunlops on FB to the first person with $50 cash? 🤔

·
Registered
151 Posts
mine came with S21. rear slides a lot when cold. un-ridable in the wet.
i will get the S22 this spring.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mine came with S21. rear slides a lot when cold. un-ridable in the wet.
i will get the S22 this spring.
I've had several sets of S21 on my 2017 CBR1000S1 and the shoulders have plenty of grip.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts