Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a year or so ago, I installed 4-way flashers on my 2013 CB1000R. OK, why it could come from the factory without such an important safety feature is open question, but...

original post:

4-way flashers on 2103 CB1000R | Honda CB1000R Forum

this spring, I licensed up the bike and started riding, without giving the flashers a second thought. then I came across an accident on one afternoon's commute, and turned the flashers on... with NO result!

Huh! Puzzled? Trepidatious? Pissed? I'm not sure what I felt... some of all of the above, I guess. But plainly I had a problem to solve.

This afternoon, after a chain-cleaning and wash session, I tackled 'the issue'. And - as wise man once said - start with the easiest possibility! So, it's either (a) the switch, or (b) the flasher unit, or (c) a wiring problem. In order of difficulty... So, the switch...

There was little trouble in extracting the screws and loosening the switch from the bars. Then I squirted a LOT of contact cleaner into the unit (protecting the bike, of course). And flipped the switch a number of times. Damn! No result. But before moving on,. I spent a bit of time blowing hard into the gaps in the switch, attempting to 'dry it out'... and - presto - at one point the flashers started to operate again. Yippee!

Deeper investigation revealed that it was indeed simple corrosion on the contact inside the switch. Take a look at the photo - there's a little circular 'nub' of copper, and when you move the switch, a 'bar' of copper moves across to complete the circuit. Simple! ( A water-resistant switch would be nice, but it'd cost more that the $4 or $ 5 I spent...)

I'm sure I'll have to perform this procedure each spring, but now I know what I'm facing.

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,029 Posts
2103 Honda ???----Oops

Reactions: WireMan

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bend the contact to make better pressure? and 1000grit clean all mating surfaces.

can't alter the contact, but, yes, 'the treatment' I imagine will be required each spring. I used the tip of a tiny screwdriver - crude, but effective...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts