Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!! After riding for abt 20 mins . I switch the bike off and it won't start again ! I've replaced the battery but the issue is still there

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,011 Posts
:welcomeDoes the engine start again once it has cooled down. Like overnight for instance ?? :welcome To the forum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:welcomeDoes the engine start again once it has cooled down. Like overnight for instance ?? :welcome To the forum.
Yeh starts the next day no issues, just when the bike is warm. I commute 10 miles to work on it takes abt 20 -25 mins to get home . I'd been riding for abt 20 mins when I decided to stop and refuel , I filled up went to pay and went back to the bike n it wouldn't strt. Tried 3 times with a 10 min wait between tries but no joy . Luckily I wasn't far from home. But had to get the bike recovered , this is the third time it's happend I've replaced the batt today but the issue is still there

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately it has done some miles 54000 to be precise . I have an optimiser but just replaced the battery . The shims have been replaced at 48k miles . The only thing that hadn't been replaced is the spark plugs ! Could I have starter problem then ? Thanks n sorry for being newbie lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just read thru the post supplied by ivercb they had the same issues as mine has , the final thread said it was a crank sensor? whats that got to do with starting when the bike is warm ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I've booked it in with A Honda dealer called thunderoad in Bridgend. Earliest it can be seen is the 6.4.13. So as soon as I know anything ill post up. Thanks

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,011 Posts
i just read thru the post supplied by ivercb they had the same issues as mine has , the final thread said it was a crank sensor? whats that got to do with starting when the bike is warm ?

I'm on a car forum and there are always problems with crank and cam sensors. Our bikes only have a crank sensor. All of these sensors give trouble when WARM. When they cool most of them work again.

The electrical signal, needed by the ECU, gets weaker from the sensor when it gets warm. The ECU wont start the engine on a weak signal. Usually replacing the sensor cures the problem.

Colvert.
:thumbup

Reactions: squidger

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi (if anyone is still interested ) my bike is still with the Honda dealer in Bridgend . I have called them a few times re updates ! And their reply is...... ? They haven't got a clue as to what is causing the issue with my bike . So this Sunday they woulda had my bike 3 weeks ! They have replicated the issue so they no there is a problem. But as to date they can't find the cause. I have mentioned the crank sensor but they have ignored it . So ill keep u posted ! Sorry for the delay !

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,011 Posts
Hi (if anyone is still interested ) my bike is still with the Honda dealer in Bridgend . I have called them a few times re updates ! And their reply is...... ? They haven't got a clue as to what is causing the issue with my bike . So this Sunday they woulda had my bike 3 weeks ! They have replicated the issue so they no there is a problem. But as to date they can't find the cause. I have mentioned the crank sensor but they have ignored it . So ill keep u posted ! Sorry for the delay !

Don't let them mess you about------TELL them to change the sensor.

How pathetic is that to call themselves bike dealers and not be able to fix a bike. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know its getting ridiculous now doing my head in. I think the part is £60 and then whatever they charge labour. when and if they call today ill ask them to do that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well honda have said that one of the valves (after doing a compression test) is at 50% can this cause the issue im having ?

·
Administrator
4,050 Posts
.. hopefully it's just a shimming up - will still cost a few quid - I'm not sure how they say one valve is at 50% though (50% open / out / what ? ) - Compression test just tells you if there is a cylinder leak which without investigation could be a number of things - hopefully they've had the rocker cover off and are checking valve clearances / tolerances... would be good to know how you get on and what they've pinned it down to...

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,011 Posts
It is possible, though most four cylinder engines will run on three cylinders if the compression on them is OK. They start up but sound rough.

However you can tell if there's a bad valve just by listening to the exhaust note yourself. A missfire is obvious. If the valve is the problem then it will be there wether the engine is hot or cold. Your problem is when the engine is hot, which tends to eliminate the valve as being the main cause of non starting. Only my opinion but I still think the crank sensor is the most likely culprit.

Keep us informed on how you get along. Best of luck with it.

Colvert.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts