Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 721 Posts

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put this thread up as a starting point for an inevitable discussion relating to the CB1000R on what tyre is best etc etc. Lets confine all debate and opinion to this thread, and to make it easier for members who don't turn up until we're months, or even years down the line, lets see if we can do it something like this:

• What tyre you're using[/*:m]
  • How tall you are[/*:m]
  • How heavy you are[/*:m]
  • How you ride (steady/fast, smooth/hard)[/*:m]
  • Your opinions[/*:m]
Any other information is great too, but this should help others as they come to it. Obviously, as we've already found, some new bikes are coming with BT015s and others with Pirelli Diablo IIIs so opinions on these are also very much appreciated (bearing in mind these are probably OE spec tyres, rather than off-the-shelf versions)

I'll collate some of these in the Wheel/Tyre article on the Wiki for future reference also. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
101 Posts
i'm an old fan of metzeler racetek...i got them on my ex cbr, r1 and Sv....simply the best...and no problem of warming also in the city use or winter use...;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
For road runs I suggest Metzeler Sportec M3, for circuit use Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SC2...
:8 :8 :8

·
Registered
668 Posts
After all the rain i have just been though the tyres were fantastic did not notice any deference in the grip between the wet or dry roads rode at the same pace the ABS does work you can feel it working though the brake leavers great :respekt

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ive been very happy with BT014s (and before that010s). The 015s have given good grip and feel so far on dry and damp surfaces. I will probably replace them eith the same if they are as good as the 014s have been

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Antnee said:
....Obviously, as we've already found, some new bikes are coming with BT015s and others with Continental Diablo IIIs ....
Shouldn't that read Pirelli Diablos?

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hass said:
Antnee said:
....Obviously, as we've already found, some new bikes are coming with BT015s and others with Continental Diablo IIIs ....
Shouldn't that read Pirelli Diablos?
Yes, it should, and now does. What a plank! :D

On the way to work today, I left a nice rubber line on the road as I drifted the bike around the corner under power. Amazingly controllable tyre and there was no drama during the slide at all. Excellent, if you like that kind of thing :love

·
Registered
33 Posts
I always loved the Michelin Pilot Power on my VTR SP-2 and off course on the Triumph Speed Triple 1050 (standard fittings).
Also my girlfriend loves them on her Kawa Z1000.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had the Pilot Road S on a Hornet and they were terrible. Anyway, we're more interested in what tyres work well on the CB1000R, as tyres that work on one bike are not forced to work well on another :thumbup Thanks for everyone's input so far though

·
Administrator
7,118 Posts
The standard Bridgestones on mine feel good so far, yet to get leant right over though... :D

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, me too. I'm about 1cm from each edge I think. The dealer this morning was telling me of a lot of people who have grounded the exhaust (as one of the Italian members has) so it goes over OK!

·
Administrator
7,118 Posts
1cm is less than some of the 'supersports' bike tyres I notice when out and about-I would say you're doing well ! :thumbup

I'm still going steady just gradually scrubbing off the newness of the tyres,getting there though...
That would explain the long hero blobs on the footrests,once that touches down the exhaust isn't far behind... ;)

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, well I've not been leaning off the bike yet, but if I push it much harder I think I'm going to need to. I like to know that there's extra tyre when I need it, I don't like to be running on the edge of the tyre, ever

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
You only need to start to worry when the pegs touch down.... at that point you are near the limit... and you don't need to hang off to get there.

Also touching the exhaust down is not a good idea... apart from it looking scratched, the rear wheel may loose traction as the bikes weight is shifted onto the exhaust, depending how sharp the transition back to the tyre is you could find yourself being spat off.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exactly, and hanging off the bike will help keep the bike more upright, resulting in less chance of loosing traction :thumbup

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
Depends what you are trying to acheive really, fast, smooth progress through corners or knee downs :)

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What about when you're trying to achieve keeping the bike upright on the fatter part of the tyre? That's the main point of hanging off the bike. The second factor as you say is to get your knee down and feel what the bike is doing, but that is definitely secondary to keeping the bike up. Moving the centre of balance of the bike over to the side you're turning in to helps cornering either without the need to lean so far, or alternatively you can say that it allows you to turn tighter for any given amount of lean

1 - 20 of 721 Posts