Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently went to the track, I was feeling good so I tried playing with the riders that are far better than I am. Dont be to hateful remember I ride a Sports/touring CB1000R, I think I held my own against them. I had plenty of opportunities to pass them, but didn’t want to push myself past my comfort zone. Remember I am 50 years old, these guys are mid 20’s Enjoy the video if you have 7 minutes to spare

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
:cool: yeah I think our bike can hold it's own on a track day. I've had the same experience as you, but I've got braver and I will overtake those guys. I'm also 50 !

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Interesting.

I was watching your gear indicator and most of the track was taken in 3rd and 4th gears. ( Gives an idea of speed. )

Also looking at your brake fluid reservoir to get an idea on your lean angle.

They seemed to have the speed on the straights but you seem to have it on the curves.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
There's a lot to be gained on the brakes too. A lot of riders I see on the track are shy on the brakes, which makes it easy to catch them.

Also, many seem so intent on getting their knee down that their lines and their actual lean angle suffer.

None of us are racers, so we have differing strengths, but if the only strength they have is more top-end speed, we can stick with them on a full lap :cool:

·
Registered
476 Posts
There's a lot to be gained on the brakes too. A lot of riders I see on the track are shy on the brakes, which makes it easy to catch them.

Also, many seem so intent on getting their knee down that their lines and their actual lean angle suffer.

None of us are racers, so we have differing strengths, but if the only strength they have is more top-end speed, we can stick with them on a full lap :cool:
Yup

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,655 Posts
Remember I am 50 years old,
Nowt wrong with that mate :respekt - keep up the good work. :thumbup

I'm 55 soon and I will be going back over to the Isle of Man later this year with a regular group of guys I ride with of all ages.

On recent trips I have passed a 1199 Panagale and a Blade both ridden by younger guys.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nowt wrong with that mate :respekt - keep up the good work. :thumbup

I'm 55 soon and I will be going back over to the Isle of Man later this year with a regular group of guys I ride with of all ages.

On recent trips I have passed a 1199 Panagale and a Blade both ridden by younger guys.
Thats amazing you ride in the TT?

Thanks for the pep talk, its only my 3rd time to track the CB, still learning and getting braver. I am thinking about getting into racing next year beginner class. I work out of country on a 4 weeks on 4 weeks off schedule so I will not be able to make all the races, but I am looking forward to the experience of it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
That's fantastic! I'm 45 and don't try to keep up with anyone anymore, but that's mostly because I broke my shoulder in 2015 and I don't want to fall on it again haha. Before my accident I had tiny chicken strips, after, they are huge haha. I didn't ride for 6 months, so I still have the same set of tires before and after, so you can see the 2 separate edges of the chicken strips.

The CB does well though. When I first got her, I literally left the dealership and went straight to the twisties for a couple hours. Bike did very well.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I posted this a while back, but here's a video I posted from a track day that started off pissing wet, but got dryer in the afternoon.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@BigOne-94-14

Great video thanks.

What tires do you run in the wet? I have wrecked 4 times and 3 of them where in the rain mainly due to my stupidity. Wet roads scare the crap out of me.

I use Super Corsas on the track, mainly because they are whats available here. I wouldnt use them in the wet (currently looking for rain tires.... Need to practice in the wet) Any tips you have please share. I am new to the track, but have ridden most of my life.

Where did you mount your GoPro?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Tyres are Michelin Pilot Road 4s. They are great in the wet. I used the same on the track in summer, 140 degree track temp. Finally I was overwhelming the grip! I'm sure faster riders would have found the limits sooner. This year I plan to go for something less street biased for the track in the summer. The Pilot Road 4s have incredible longevity and wonderful wet weather grip, so if you want good all-round street performance, try them!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
As for tips for wet weather riding .... Smooth smooth smooth smooth smooth. Easy does it on every control. Especially on the street.

·
Administrator
3,655 Posts
Thats amazing you ride in the TT?
Hi mate - sorry I think you misunderstand me. I don't ride in the TT (I wish I had the skills to).

I go over to the Island every year with a group if guys for the Southern 100 road races.

https://youtu.be/f96K5oxrPG0
https://youtu.be/SNBKRR6gX2o

After the racing we stop for a few more days and ride both the Southern 100 and TT courses.
It's and amazing place to ride with no upper speed limit on the de-restricted road sections.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You don't have to be young to be fast or on a fast bike. My dad is easily as fast as me on his VFR 750 on track or the road and he is 60 , I'm only 27. Nothing like experience. He keeps up with many sports bikes at track days. They just disappear on straights and he catches them in the corners.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
You don't have to be young to be fast or on a fast bike. My dad is easily as fast as me on his VFR 750 on track or the road and he is 60 , I'm only 27. Nothing like experience. He keeps up with many sports bikes at track days. They just disappear on straights and he catches them in the corners.
Yes exactly.

And us old farts learned to ride on bikes that didn't handle for schitt, so we had to get our lines and smoothness down :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I decided to buy a track back. I love my CB and it would break my heart if I tore it up at the track so I had a friend selling his track bike and bought it from him. I bought a 2012 ZX10R, mainly for the local parts available, and the cheapness of aftermarket parts. Where I live the ZX is more available. We have a FB site for the CB in the Philippines we have 6 members that have the bike. I am sure there is more but they are rare. I am hoping that since it will only be a track bike and races usually dont last more than an hour that I wont get the dreaded neck and back pains that I had from riding SS bikes in the past.

I am really good friends with a racer/mechanic he is going to go through the bike and make sure everything is okay with it. He has been doing the work and maintenance on it since it was first used at the track. I have already ordered all the suspension upgrades, Ohlins for the rear, the front springs the mechanic said will still be good so I just ordered seal kits for it. He already had a brand new PCV that another customer bought but decided to go with a stage 2 ECU flash. Bought an HM quickshifter pricey little bastards but they are standalone units and can be run either normal or GP shift.

My future 2030 GP champion ;) test fitting on the bike

17632243_1026455970821678_732172859864093624_o.jpg

The day I brought it home
17553798_1025129167621025_8342315940832358626_n (1).jpg

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good choice!!

I have my eye out for the right CBR1000RR for the track for similar reasons. No hurry.
I would have preferred to have an RR, but there is not a dedicated HONDA dealer here in Philippines all the parts are double the price due to import fees. I bought my CB through an import company cost me almost $15K for it. A brand new ZX10R cost about the same from a local Kawasaki dealer. Plus the Kawi dealer can get most parts needed for cheaper price.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts