Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I've been lurking around here without posting anything for a while now.
I've had the NSC for about 6 months now and mostly I absolutely love the brushed aluminium pants off of the thing.

But wow is that headlight terrible! So the first question is, do you all have the same experience, or is it possible that mine is running on half power?!

I managed to not ride in the dark for the first 4 months of ownership, but the first time was a real disappointment. Pretty much to the point that I feel like it's an insult from Honda that they didn't consider being able to see in the dark as a priority. It feels like riding with a couple of stoned glow-worms in a jam jar would shed more light on the road ahead.

What have you all done about it?

I've tried using SW-Motech EVO LED fog lights and the result was amazing. But I had them mounted on the SW engine bars which I've now removed (detracted from the look of the bike too much for my tastes) and so I'm back to stock and avoiding darkness. Not easy as it's still getting dark by 5pm up here in Hamburg, Germany.

I've considered swapping the headlight out completely for an aftermarket LED unit like the Highsider Typ 8 or something from JW Speaker. But I'm concerned about potential problems with Canbus warnings there.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers,

Andy.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
241 Posts
So, I'm in the USA and I ride to work at 4am (night) Monday thru Friday. Occasionally I'll even ride my 2017 CBR1000S1 to work. My NSC replaced a 2014 CB1000R. I've had many bikes and the headlights on the NSC are just as good as any of the bikes I've owned. Are you not happy with high beam either?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The headlight is pretty pants. I need to adjust mine too ... it points too high. But I've not done much night riding now that i don't commute every day (thanks Covid).

Best headlight on a bike I've owned was on my 1991 CBR1000F.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The headlight on the previous generation CB is trash. At least with that one, a projector retrofit is possible. I have a HID projector in mine and it is a HUGE improvement over stock.

The Neo has such a shallow profile that a projector wouldn't fit. You could open it up and upgrade the leds and driver, but if a poorly designed reflector is the main problem, you won't get very far like that. With a MSRP of $1000, it's awful expensive to buy a spare just to experiment with.

It's sad to hear that the new bike's headlight isn't much better. I wish they would pay more attention to output and less to looks.

Have you seen the Puig auxiliary lights? They can be mounted a few different ways. Auxiliary Lights for motorcycle Honda CB1000R NEO SPORTS CAFE 2019 - Motoplastic PUIG

That Highsider light looks awesome! You might want to contact Highsider and ask them for more info about any canbus issues you might run into. They may have already crossed that bridge.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm not much for riding at night and mostly avoid it. The 7HighSider lights look to be a good replacement if one is needed for the NSC.

1612620437477.png 1612620573517.png

Still, I would find an old OEM headlight bucket and then find a light to fit. The aftermarket has a nice bucket available too.

1612621124625.png

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’ve only ridden once at night and i felt the headlight was adequate. (My last bike was a monster and it was just as good or better than the monster light was)

perhaps adjust thelight height? See if you can dial itin before replacing that beautiful halo

·
Registered
154 Posts
Comming from a Ninja ZX10r, I have to say, that the headlight of the NSC is bullshit.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine seems fine, but I had to severely fix the adjustment, mine was crazy low, throw of maybe 20ft. Now that its actually got some range it seems fine to me. I ride through some pretty dark unlit country roads and it seems fine to me. Its nowhere near as good as the Rocket 3 I have, but thats thing is insane (in every way).

·
Registered
Honda CB1000R+ 2020
2 Posts
I had the Puig aux lights fitted and can tell you they’re brilliant, separate switch on the bars means I can flood light the road at night, when used with the main beam the combination is like a stadium light!

·
Registered
Honda CB1000R+ 2020
2 Posts
@SHMC President do you only need to remove one bolt to remove that Scorpion muffler?
Yep, one small bolt to remove and it comes out with ease. I had a Remus end-can on a different bike which had a bolt AND a spot weld which made the muffler/db killer a right pain to get out! This Scorpion one was really simple.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts