Honda CB1000R Forum banner

top speed cb1000r

21K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  BigOne-94-14 
#1 ·
hi
i need your help.. if you please
:(
i would like to how to improve the performance of my bike , like the top speed ... that is 250kmh, :mad:
and how to put more horsepower and torque ?:thumbup
i listen people talk about put kn air filter and to dekat the exhaust,
install rapid bike and power commander... but i´d like to know what experts like you are have to say to me?
:respekt
cheers
andre from portugal

#2 ·
As many here have pointed out to me previously, the Honda CB1000R was not made for top speed. It lacks aerodynamic fairings that would enable it to be good at reaching high speed. The bike comes originally with low gearing, which makes it accelerate fast. The Standard handlebars, enable the rider to sit upright, both of which hinder top speed. The engine, comes stock in a detuned fashion, that allows it to have more torque, and not a high HP output as the engine had in the CBR1000RR application.

The easiest way to achieve what you are asking is to simply ride the bike full throttle, and a quick turn throttle will help you with that, couple links if you use the search function on the top right of this page.

I am no expert, but there seems to be a lot of others who are.

#3 ·
Two threads....

+1 to what Suzukijo said, except for the snarky part at the end :p jk, Jo

Any idea what your top speed is with your current gearing, Suzukijo?

#4 ·
its tuff to find a good road to see what I can get.
its easy to tuck in and push 120-130, but past that needs a smooth long road, maybe I should go to the UK where they have those?

with my bike geared up, it just seems to need less upshifting. to the contrary, I might spend more time downshifting?
5-6k, seems to be a nice rpm, for cruising, I don't pay much attention to what gear I'm in, just put it where I think it should be, if the rev limiter isn't getting in the way.

I have found that with my QTT, I do have it open more, but with taller gearing its not doing wheelies like it used to all the time, i'm just going, and going.

I would like to take it out and see what it will do, smooth flat long road, but looking at the speedo when going, its difficult for me, road gets narrow, bumpy, lots of stuff happening...tuff to look down and watch the #'s change all the time to see how fast one is going, that's not my bag.
I find myself riding a lot at 50-60, drop down to third, and baddah-bing, bam, bip, fun bike.

I didn't gear up for top speed, just me, and what I WANTED. honestly, the highest speed I have seen is 139, but as I said, at that speed, i'm not looking down much.

#6 ·
hi
i would like to how to improve the performance of my bike , like the top speed ... that is 250kmh
My thoughts - you need more top end horsepower - 150mph isn't massively far out of reach of the CB1R but as indicated it's power just isn't that big or distributed in a manner to give you a true 150mph / 250kmh

You're in the realms of tuning rather than gearing and really what you'd need is a Fireblade engine, which has the right power to overcome the lack of aerodynamics.

So if you want the magic 150mph/250kmh readily on tap, buy a 1000 superbike (or a raw naked from Aprillia, MV or Ducati) - easiest answer !

#9 ·
To increase the overall top speed of a bike is a difficult one; sure, fitting exhausts, airfilters and power commanders will improve the top speed slightly if the bike will not hit the limiter in top gear, and aid in getting there quicker. However, to overcome the resistance at high speeds, you need a considerable increase in power and the faster you go, the more power you will need to overcome this resistance. At this point, out right power and aerodynamics are key. So engine modifications/swaps, farings would be needed, and depending upon how fast you wish to go, a turbo!!

#10 · (Edited)
---------------------- :thumbup

Reactions: The red joker
#11 ·
Had mine flat out on a *cough* private road in France last year. Speedo said 154 so probably 140-145ish true speed. What made it easier was a Puig screen I got for the trip. I agree that if you want more power, flat out speed and/or sharper handling, go and buy a Fireblade.

#22 ·
Interesting you say the speedo is optimistic... I am in the US and this is the first bike that I've owned that has an accurate speedometer... within 1 mph of actual GPS

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

#12 ·
On the original question it's bad enough hanging on once you dial up the speed, never mind going flat out - I bought an unfaired bike deliberately ; to make it difficult and less tempting to do crazy speeds and to focus on the curves rather than balls out speed - a lot of sports bikes bikers these days do a load of crazy straight line overtaking and flat out speeds and then come to a corner and treat it like they're stopping for traffic lights....Even in the IoM over the mountain I only took it to 130 a couple of times ...a CBR600RR has a higher true top speed than the CB1000R - why try and compete ? !

#26 ·
I think you're missing the point-------------------------The CB is a ROAD bike.--------( Otherwise Rossi would want one--------------Lol. )--:rolleyes:

#25 ·
....On the flat 120 is easy but 140 should soon follow (flat on tank, neck still snapping) - tops out at about 140 (on the speedo) - managed this in the IoM but you do need a long run as the bike is really battling with its top end gearing, power and aerodynamics ....anything over 100 can be highly unpleasant which is the whole point of the bike though tbh...

#28 ·
Not too sure on this question. If you want top speed get a faired super bike, Gixxer, 'blade, Ninja, whatever. No expert but would imagine you'd be in a lot of pain (especially at my age) once you got above 140/150 on a naked due to windblast on neck and arms?

I bought the 1000r for exactly what it says on the tin, good low down grunt without the license threatening speeds. Bike before last was a 'blade, great fun for 3 years, but realised was likely to get in trouble with plod at some stage as just too easy to go fast without realising when having fun. The current bike reminds me when I get silly as wind noise and windblast keep me sane (and license intact)

#31 ·
Yes driving licence is the issue........... hence why I bought a naked.
I have seen 152 on the clock and as has already been said 130 is quite quick getting there, then it tails off somewhat.

I suppose the question is how much is "enough"?

80 - 90 mph back roads is what this bikes about; go buy something else if this isn't your thing!

Maybe the OP has seeing as he's not been back on this thread for quite some time.

#32 ·
80 - 90 mph back roads is what this bikes about; go buy something else if this isn't your thing!

Definitely agree with that - practical, the right side of legal and wont get you into (too much) trouble - so many sportsbikes ridden like kids tricyles or planted in cars, walls and hedges ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.