Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Has anyone had this problem before. I am trying to release the 2 top bolts holding the radiator on, but both bolts just keeps spinning. Instead of a nut on the other end of the bolt like the single bottom bolt, it just seem to have rubber on the end. Do the threads of the bolt screw into the frame then, or if they do, both frame threads must for some reaso
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

n be stripped!

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your's could be seized and the special nut just spins.
Thanks for your as usual fast reply Bevo. There is just nothing you can get a socket on the other end of the bolt. I am afraid it will have to visit the local bike shop next week to see what he comes up with. Why Honda did not put a nut on the end of the bolt with rubber grommets through the frame I will never know. They did on the bottom bolt!!

· Registered
236 Posts
maybe you could stick a screwdriver or some thing between the rubber and the frame component to stop the rubber from spinning, or even just pushing on it if you cant get it from the side, maybe spray the threads with some wd40 first too.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe you could stick a screwdriver or some thing between the rubber and the frame component to stop the rubber from spinning, or even just pushing on it if you cant get it from the side, maybe spray the threads with some wd40 first too.
Hi Otown. Yes I have so far given them a good spray with release fluid. Jammed a screwdriver into the rubber bushes to try to get the bolts out that way, no joy. So if the local bike shop destroy both bolts to get them out, I have just ordered new bolts and all the rubber bushes that go with them. Bloomin annoying as I only want to fit a decent rad guard.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, after 3 hours struggling, those bloomin bolts have been removed. My tip, don't bother with good old WD40, as it just did not help. I then used some proper release fluid and had success. Mind you, the second one really did give me grief. I cut all the rubber off from around the complete bolt. With limited space I gripped a small hacksaw blade wrapped in a rag and cut a little into the threaded collar in 2 places to help release some tension on the threads. Initially plenty of WD40 but still it would not release. Then tried the release fluid and 10 mins later, yippee, it came undone. Whatever possessed Honda to design that rubbish. Don't they know there will be a time when an owner wants to take the radiator off or add a new guard like me. Then the nut encased in rubber on the other end of the bolt, is not a nut you can grip, but a round threaded collar. Anyway, new bolts and rubber bushes on order from Honda, ready to then fit my new Beowulf radiator guard. Here is a photo of the bolt and collar minus the rubber. I am getting too old for all this hastle. Lol.
Household hardware Fastener Wood Gas Screw

· Registered
892 Posts
Reactions: Bevo

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thought I would post this final follow up, as I fitted the new Rad guard last week. As Bevo stated, make sure you don't tighten the bolts up too much. They are certainly not as tight as the ones I eventually took out. I made sure the guard sat nicely onto the stock standard plastic guard as instructions state and glad to say no vibration sounds from it once on the road.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motorcycle Vehicle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts