Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was posting this stuff in my Introduction Post, but I should probably do this here instead.

Current Mod List:

SW Motech Engine Guards
SW Motech SLC Side Carriers w/ Urban ABS cases
SW Motech Tank Ring for their "Pro" tankbags

Evotech Radiator Guard

Honda CB650R Front "Windshield"

Yoshimura Slip-on

Techspec Tank pads

"Warm N Safe" Hard mounted barrel plug for heated gear / battery tender

Hepco and Becker "Sportrack" that replaces the rear seat/cowl

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Plant

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So, on a deleted post here, I caught a lot of flack for not understanding the MIL (CEL) light on the dash. It turns out that's because it was glitched badly.

Well, after a dealership had it for a month (in July), they ordered me a new ECU, which didn't fix it. Then they ordered some replacement sensors, which also didn't fix it.

So now the bike is BACK at the dealership for this problem for the fourth time. Bad showing from Honda, honestly. I may end up pushing for them to buy the bike back, because in the 5 months of ownership I've been able to ride for fewer than 4 of them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Me either. I have been looking into it. It's a shame because I really do like the bike a lot.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem. I also bought the bike used at 670ish miles, so I wonder if that's why it was traded in. Though the fact that the dealership can't get the light turned off makes me think that's not the case.

I'm not sure if this has soured me on Hondas yet, especially since the dealership has been fantastic really. But I thought it was worth documenting on a forum just in case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still at the shop for the third time. My understanding of lemon laws is that in NC, it takes 4 trips to the shop AND 30+ out of service days within 12 months. I'm well over the 30 days (pushing 40 now), but only on the third attempt.

Supposedly I will hear something today, but I remain skeptical.

This, to me, is a huge black mark on the Honda motorcycle reliability chart. I spoke with the service guy, and he said that since 2015, it's actually Yamaha that has the least warranty claims at their shop. Thought that was interesting.

Also, on further thought: a lemon law resolution would be undesirable, as I would only receive depreciated value, which wouldn't include the dealership fees (exorbitant), taxes, and it wouldn't include all the mods and gear. So a "buyback" would have to be several thousand over "blue book" value to be worth it. This remains to be seen. I have contacted a lawyer, but am hoping for a repair solution, not a monetary one.

I will also update here if a repair solution is found, so anyone else having the same issue can point the shop in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
2019 CB1000R
1,813 Posts
This, to me, is a huge black mark on the Honda motorcycle reliability chart. I spoke with the service guy, and he said that since 2015, it's actually Yamaha that has the least warranty claims at their shop. Thought that was interesting.
Yamaha makes a quality product too. I've owned many Hondas for a reason. Two are in my garage right now.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Dunno what kind of issue you have , most of the time is the dealer unable to operate and find the little problem

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, so current update is that they have replaced every o2 sensor twice, the ECU once, and pinned out the whole wiring harness, among several other "fixes".

"James" from Honda Corporate is flying out next week, which I assume is the last step before offering me a buyout.

Pretty annoyed by this whole process, a more or less brand new bike has been in the shop for over 1/3 of the time I've owned it.

That being said, I do like the bike a lot, so if they offer me a buyout ill probably get an exact replacement. I think it's the bike, not Honda, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Following this as I have a 21 black edition. I haven’t experienced these issues so hopefully it stays that way.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience and I really hope it gets worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to get a complete list of everything they tried to do, that way anyone else with the same issue has a guide to work with.

I'm adding to this thread for posterity and reference more than for my own complaining.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apologies, I misunderstood what the service manager said to me. Honda didn't fly anyone in (lol, I thought that seemed insane the day before thanksgiving), the manager was talking about a Goldwing that had some unsolvable transmission issues. The tech simply escalated the issue from the general honda techline up a couple levels and is waiting on a response. The service manager here seems as frustrated as I am by the response time of Honda support.

Currently my bike has been out of service for a total of a little over 7 weeks out of the 25 I have owned it.

However, the current list of attempted repairs is as follows:

Replaced O2 sensors, Replaced ECU, Replaced O2 sensors (again), Pinned-out wiring harness. and as of this morning (literally called me as I was typing this out), they did some sort of "driving recording" thing which has been sent to one of the manager-types at the honda techline. Supposedly I will hear back tonight, but I expect it will be Tuesday or so at the earliest.

My wife has her eyes set on an XSR700 they have at that shop, so I'll probably end up talking to them in person tomorrow if we decide to go shopping.

·
Super Moderator
2019 CB1000R
1,813 Posts
The service manager here seems as frustrated as I am by the response time of Honda support.
Honda is being ridiculous.

Here's how warranty work and customer service should go:

Purchased a 2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport 400 RWD (Twin Turbos) new off the showroom floor in December 2016. No mods except Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit. So, on 11/22/22 I took the car in about a week early for its annual service with 34,516 on the clock. I always hit the recommended service month intervals before I hit the miles since I commute on motorcycles. Only issue I've ever had with this car was a faulty blend door actuator (replaced under warranty). With my OEM warranty expiring in December (extended will expire 2024) I asked the SA about a turbo inspection. He said they could inspect them and asked if I heard any noise. I told him I would occasionally hear rattle during cold start and I thought it might be the wastegates.

So I'm pretty sure ever since this car was new I would hear this occasional rattle, but only during a remote cold start while the car was in the garage and me being inside the house on the other side of the door to the garage. It sounds like metal jingling but I've never heard it inside the cabin probably because during the cold start the Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit is loud AF.

So the tech inspected the turbos and said they were faulty. Service Advisor said it's a several hours process between the tech and Infiniti for approval because it's a $7,000 US job. Dealership didn't have a loaner availably at the time so the SA arranged for a free Lyft ride to my home and back to the dealership when a loaner was available. (Loaner turned out to be a brand new QX80 with most of the interior still wrapped in plastic). Warranty work approved and completed on 11/28/22.

By the way, I didn't purchase the car from the dealership that actually performed the warranty work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honestly, they have offered multiple times to let me pick my bike up and ride it as much as I want, but the dealership is a 40-minute ride each way, so I haven't taken advantage of that, plus I think it's better to leave it with them for the work as much as possible.

If they had given me a loaner I'd be a happy camper! Honestly I'd have been happy with any random bike as a loaner too. The other shop in town (not a honda dealer) gives Zeros out as loaners. Pretty clever move, they sell a lot of those things.

Edit: Yes, It's definitely communication with Honda that I think has been the main issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts