Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Bridgestone battlax S21R

Votes: 3 60.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm about 4 weeks in on my 2019 cb100r, just crossed the 2000 mile mark and what better way to celebrate than a couple screws in my rear tire!

So battlax or sportmax ? has anyone rode both? any other suggestions?

I'm pretty much a 3.5 season rider, wet, dry, and track hopefully a couple times this next year. live in the city, commute and take as many 1/2 day rides as I can.

I appreciate the input!

·
Registered
185 Posts
My bike came with the S21s. They were great, except when it was seriously wet.

I'm a big fan of Pilot Roads, so I fitted a set of 5s earlier in the year. Immediately ahead of a prolonged lockdown thanks to Covid, which imposed travel restrictions limiting us Melburnians to a 5km radius of home...

So I can’t tell you how great the Michelins are on the CB, but from prior experience they're brilliant all-weather tyres. (Except the 3s, they didn’t wear evenly so you found yourself tipping into turns.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My bike came with the S21s. They were great, except when it was seriously wet.

I'm a big fan of Pilot Roads, so I fitted a set of 5s earlier in the year. Immediately ahead of a prolonged lockdown thanks to Covid, which imposed travel restrictions limiting us Melburnians to a 5km radius of home...

So I can’t tell you how great the Michelins are on the CB, but from prior experience they're brilliant all-weather tyres. (Except the 3s, they didn’t wear evenly so you found yourself tipping into turns.)
good to know, thanks! seems like these are the most popular in a few other forums also

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think if you're asking which would be better between the Dunlop and the Bridgestone there is no comparison. The s21's that came with the bike are a great all around tire. The S22's would be the current replacement and they are even better than the S21's. They are grippier and hold a corner very well and provide good corner stability. If you are going to do a few track days a year the S22's would be the ones to go with between the two. I upgraded my S21's with S22's and am very pleased with the performance of the tire. They will not give you the mileage of a road 5 but will perform better on a track and in aggressive canyon riding.

That's my two cents but tires are very subjective and you will get many differing opinions. All I can say is that if you like the S21's the S22's are a noticeable improvement and upgrade!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think if you're asking which would be better between the Dunlop and the Bridgestone there is no comparison. The s21's that came with the bike are a great all around tire. The S22's would be the current replacement and they are even better than the S21's. They are grippier and hold a corner very well and provide good corner stability. If you are going to do a few track days a year the S22's would be the ones to go with between the two. I upgraded my S21's with S22's and am very pleased with the performance of the tire. They will not give you the mileage of a road 5 but will perform better on a track and in aggressive canyon riding.

That's my two cents but tires are very subjective and you will get many differing opinions. All I can say is that if you like the S21's the S22's are a noticeable improvement and upgrade!
I appreciate the input👍 someone posted this about the s22s in another forum, great info! 2019 Motorrad Test Winner | Gripping Stories - Bridgestone Corporation

·
Registered
2014 Matte Gold CB1000R
20 Posts
Dunlop. My last track day was on a set of D208GPs. The confidence coming out of curves was inspirational. Warmed up fast, predictable performance.

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,053 Posts
Many opinions and it's really---Horses for courses.---Your needs will govern your choice.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
My Road 5s on my CBR1000RR are good enough to keep up with the fast group pace on the track and still give 6000 miles plus on the street. Unless you are a pro rider you won't really get much value from pure sports tyres on the street. You barely stress them compared to on track and they still wear fast.

IMHO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bike came stock with the Battlax S21. They lasted 2,900 miles before I hit the wear indicators, not a huge fan of that tread life.

Pretty grippy for most of the life, but got a little squirrely at 2900.

Then picked up some Angel GTs

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Road 5s on my CBR1000RR are good enough to keep up with the fast group pace on the track and still give 6000 miles plus on the street. Unless you are a pro rider you won't really get much value from pure sports tyres on the street. You barely stress them compared to on track and they still wear fast.

IMHO
good to know they would last that long

·
Registered
131 Posts
Anyone running a 190/50-17 on the back wheel? My former Z1K and C14 used those sizes stock, and I like the look of the profile height to width look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts