Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for creative ideas to change a rear tire on a trip without a SS swingarm rear stand. Thinking of somehow employing a scissor jack under the engine or swingarm. I know it's not ideal but has anyone done it?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Only way I've done it is by using 2 axle stands under the foot pegs. But then you have to be very strong or need 2 to lift onto stands

·
Administrator
4,047 Posts
Use a jack and the side stand - jack the bike so it tips to the left jacking itself up and on to the sidestand and thus raising the wheel off the ground - loosen everything before you do this ( wheel nuts etc) - change tyre and whack it back on etc !

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use a normal swing arm stand with a metal rod through the rear axle. Once off the ground I use a block of wood under the engine (but not under the header pipes) and take stand away.
I have also used a hydraulic jack with tines (imagine a very small forklift without cab/motor etc) and well placed blocks of wood.
Tie down under subframe and through a rafter works well too!
Rag

N

·
0 Posts
Pointless risking it really,bike only has to slip and you could have gotten 10 stands for the price of an engine case or fuel tank

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ Bogbrush...Well I guess that would be great if I could lash on the paddock stand to the pillion while riding to my destination...LOL.

N

·
0 Posts
@ Bogbrush...Well I guess that would be great if I could lash on the paddock stand to the pillion while riding to my destination...LOL.
So your carrying a spare tyre,levers and a compressor as well :p

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
What Sovrec said. I have even propped it up like that with a short piece of 2x4 once when I was in a pinch.

Where are you going, doc?

N

·
0 Posts
What Sovrec said. I have even propped it up like that with a short piece of 2x4 once when I was in a pinch.

Where are you going, doc?
Don't your bike tyre shops have stands and stuff then when they fit tyres ?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
So your carrying a spare tyre,levers and a compressor as well :p
You can easily pack a small compressor and irons. Tires can be purchased on the road.

Personally, I would have to just let a shop do everything while I watch and have a panic attack over every scratch they put in the rim.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Don't your bike tyre shops have stands and stuff then when they fit tyres ?
I fit my own tires with stands and a tire machine. I only did that once when I wanted to clean and lube my chain during a long trip without rolling the bike all over the place. Worked great!

N

·
0 Posts
You can easily pack a small compressor and irons. Tires can be purchased on the road.

Personally, I would have to just let a shop do everything while I watch and have a panic attack over every scratch they put in the rim.
You still have to break the bead to remove the tyre and that's hard without a bead breaker and to reseal to tyre you probably going to need an air line

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
You still have to break the bead to remove the tyre and that's hard without a bead breaker and to reseal to tyre you probably going to need an air line
Good point. I'm guessing he just wants to get the wheel off and let someone else change the tire, but then why not just let them do the whole job. Cost, maybe?

You could break the bead with a board and a car, but would have to be very careful to keep from scratching it and would need a board and to find someone willing to run over your wheel with their car, lol. Sportbike tires fit so tight that you shouldn't need a ton of air to get it started.

What is your plan, Doc? We have questions!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
If you need to fit a new tyre then let the dealer do the work. ( Unless of course you're riding with a spare tyre slung around your neck just in case. Lol. )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts