Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its finally safe for me to go into the garage again after picking up a nail in the rear tire a few days from new. I looked at the nail and it has gone in sideways like a splinter, not stabbed through like a knife puncture. The nail looked to be a millimeter or two below the surface of the tire. I removed the nail and the tire is holding pressure. I have a new tire on order, but am I safe to ride until it gets here?

·
Registered
443 Posts
OMG, if it's holding air ride the damn thing!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
front or rear? (I'd be more concerned about the front than the rear) centre, shoulder, or sidewall? ( the tread portions are pretty well backed by cord; sidewalls less so)
you say you've ordered a new tire, so haven't you sorta answered your own question? you're not confident in the tire for the future, so it'd be logical to avoid riding it at present too...

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Wait a minute, you haven't even been out to the garage since the puncture? You haven't ridden the poor thing for over 2 months?? Maybe you just sell it?

I haven't ridden mine in two days because of rain. I went into the garage to get something earlier and I swear the bike is pouting and giving me dirty looks!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
so are you saying the nail did or didn't puncture the carcase?

If it didn't go through the carcase then just ride it as little cuts etc. happen all the time and make no difference.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice. I do not believe that the carcass of the rear tire was penetrated by the nail. I am not that familiar with motorcycle tire construction or the loads the tires typically see. I wouldn't think twice about using the tire if it were on a car. I have changed aircraft tires for less damage than what my rear tire has. I wanted to make sure I wasn't pulling a big no no by riding.

DELuth, I charged the battery once or twice and topped off the tank. I am still pissed at myself for finding that nail but $hit happens. I also had some shoulder issues. I was prepared to scrap the riding season for surgery. Fortunately I do not require surgery. The general pain is gone and the strength is returning with the therapy.

Mr. Nice,
I was forced to analyze the tire situation with the utmost scrutiny. Organizing the opinions of those on this forum that I idolize was an important step for me to finalize my decision to utilize my CB. Thank you for helping me realize that I am in fact safe to operate, a few liters of fuel and I will be off. We could categorize the damage to the rear tire is purely aesthetic? I do appreciate your favorable feedback to my concern about the rear tire.

·
Banned
5,355 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I do not believe that the carcass of the rear tire was penetrated by the nail. I am not that familiar with motorcycle tire construction or the loads the tires typically see. I wouldn't think twice about using the tire if it were on a car. I have changed aircraft tires for less damage than what my rear tire has. I wanted to make sure I wasn't pulling a big no no by riding.

DELuth, I charged the battery once or twice and topped off the tank. I am still pissed at myself for finding that nail but $hit happens. I also had some shoulder issues. I was prepared to scrap the riding season for surgery. Fortunately I do not require surgery. The general pain is gone and the strength is returning with the therapy.

Mr. Nice,
I was forced to analyze the tire situation with the utmost scrutiny. Organizing the opinions of those on this forum that I idolize was an important step for me to finalize my decision to utilize my CB. Thank you for helping me realize that I am in fact safe to operate, a few liters of fuel and I will be off. We could categorize the damage to the rear tire is purely aesthetic? I do appreciate your favorable feedback to my concern about the rear tire.

Storm in a tea cup son .

·
Registered
10 Posts
spencer0071 stop stop don't ride the bike at all, I would be replacing the tyre for sure and maybe even the front tyre as well just to be on the safe side.:):)

p.s. if it didn't go flat its not punctured, just ride and don't give it a second thought mate

N

·
0 Posts
spencer0071 stop stop don't ride the bike at all, I would be replacing the tyre for sure and maybe even the front tyre as well just to be on the safe side.:):)

p.s. if it didn't go flat its not punctured, just ride and don't give it a second thought mate
Method is get home,remove sharp object,spit on hole :eek: and if no bubbling is going on ride it,if bubbling occurs then plug it but only if the leak is within 1.5" of the tyres edge or if tyre is well worn buy another ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts