Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the muffler off while fitting a new rear tire, and the bolt hole on the frame for the forward muffler hanger was pretty grungy, so I ran an 8mm x 1.25 tap thru it to clean it out. and i noticed that there is another 'tab' on the frame, slightly below and behind it, which is also 8mm x 1.25, which also needed a clean-up, which I did. however, this bolt hole appears to be completely functionless. so, does anyone have any info about possible functions, perhaps in certain markets? it's the lower bolt hole in the jpeg; and it's ID'ed as not being used on the schematic from the shop manual. see below:

btw, one criticism I would level at Honda engineers is that they tend to use 'open' bores thru tabs on the frame. if the bolt is slightly longer than the bore, the exposed end gets cruddy and is difficult to remove, plus maybe screws up the threads; and if the bolt fits a bit short, the threads get crudded up and if the bolt needs to be tightened deeper for some reason, you can't get it to do so until you run a tap thru to clean the full bore. this seems weird to me...

·
Registered
417 Posts
I’ve also noticed this tapped hole and wondered what it was for. There will be a valid reason i’m sure.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The lower hole? That is part of the block. The block came from the CBR. It probably was used on that bike.

Reactions: panagiotis
1 - 4 of 4 Posts