Honda CB1000R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Well OP I'm sure most have done it at sometime.
I once did it years ago next to the Campbell memorial in the lake district. We'd pulled up, got chatting and then I casually stepped off the bike and started walking away. Luckily I saw it and managed to gently let it fall on the ground pulling me over the bike with it. This was a Kawasaki GT750 so not the lightest of beasts. No damage done and on my way although the piss was taken for a while after.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My cb was on the abba stand and I finished cleaning the chain, so I moved it off the stand and the abba moved the stand back just a bit so it was balancing unbeknown to me. I knew this when it fell on me which is a good job I was in the way, I saved the bike from scratches and dents and I still have a war wound when the lever tried to go in to my wrist.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
"managed to gently let it fall on the ground pulling me over the bike with it"

I've done that too! On the morning I was selling my 600 Bandit to my best buddy I gave it a clean and parked it close to the wall of the garage so there was room to park the car alongside. Got off,bounced slightly off the wall and slowly followed it over! I had some cardboard sheets on the ground which saved it from any damage. Lucky me.

N

·
0 Posts
Never done that myself but did see a bloke get off his Ducati once and just drop it on its side cause he forgot the stand flicked up on those bikes and he didn't get away with just a lever

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Never done that myself but did see a bloke get off his Ducati once and just drop it on its side cause he forgot the stand flicked up on those bikes and he didn't get away with just a lever
Ya i rly did luck out. The handle bar ends and case sliders saved the bike. Couresty of R&G

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Watched the stunt show at Squires today and Ash and Vandal were doing their thing when Vandal went to change onto his other bike. Now he'd being doing some very controlled stunts without incident but when he got off he forgot an important bit :eek:. Half jumping, half falling as he got off. Both he and the bike ended up on the floor right in front of the spectating crowd :rolleyes:

Naturally no damage and it was taken in good humour so simply added to the show.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I've never done this but once after stopping at a junction I put my foot on a wet manhole cover and slipped to the point of no return. I held it up but couldn't lift it back upright. Fortunately my mate helped me back up right.
My zed 750 slipped off the paddock stand and I also caught this before it hit the floor but couldn't right her. I only had hold of it by the rear seat section and lifting only picked the rear up. I stood there for tens minutes holding it waiting hoping someone would walk past but no one did. Slowly lowered her to the floor then picked her up by the bars. Scratched standard exhaust which I was replacing and was the purpose of putting it on the stand.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
A friend on a CBR600F approaching a T junction in the center of Gent. Hot summer's day, café on each corner,terraces full of boozing students. He stops, lowers his left foot to the ground only for his bootlace to get hung up on the bike! Over he goes. I leave the rest to your imagination!! :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
A friend on a CBR600F approaching a T junction in the center of Gent. Hot summer's day, café on each corner,terraces full of boozing students. He stops, lowers his left foot to the ground only for his bootlace to get hung up on the bike! Over he goes. I leave the rest to your imagination!! :)
I've done similar to that on my Thundercat and was lucky to get away with it. Unbeknown to me the laces had looped around the back brake pedal and when I came to stop my foot wouldn't reach the floor. Luckily there was a bit of space so I accelerated to regain balance and put the other foot down.

My lucky day :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hahhaha. Great stories. The way i see it if ur not dropping/laying bikes down you prolly dont ride very much. Also ya ima replace both levers with some vtec shorties. Do shorties make contact with the ground if i drop it? I think it would be a good mod since if im on a trip they wont break during a minor spill. The saftey/pivoting levers are a touch expensive

·
Registered
79 Posts
Why did you not throw your body between it and the ground that's what I would have done.
Thats exactly what I did. Not recommended! No damage to bike, but 2 1/2 months later I am still healing. 1st wreck in 50 years at an incredible speed of somewhere between 0 and dead stopped. :notme

·
Registered
79 Posts
My cb was on the abba stand and I finished cleaning the chain, so I moved it off the stand and the abba moved the stand back just a bit so it was balancing unbeknown to me. I knew this when it fell on me which is a good job I was in the way, I saved the bike from scratches and dents and I still have a war wound when the lever tried to go in to my wrist.
I am sorry that happened, but I am glad to know that I am not the only one. Took mine off the Abba stand, it sat there for a couple of hours, I threw a leg over it, the bikes stand was not forward so the bike body slammed me hard. Never had been totally horizontal on concrete with a motorcycle laying on top of me. It hurts!! Bad hurts!!
AbbaWreck.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Errrr. I need to lay the bike down but intentionally this time.

How would one go about such a feat without doing too much damage.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Speed ?

Surface ?

Road ?

Track ?

With or without safety gear ?

Ice ?

------------:notme

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
LOL @ Colvert :rollin

Errrr. I need to lay the bike down but intentionally this time.

How would one go about such a feat without doing too much damage.

Just lay down some thick blankets or foam at the points where the bike contacts the floor. Try to do it with a empty fuel tank so it doesn't leak fuel. If it's trying to smash the plastic bodywork, use foam/blanket covered boards to prop it up where needed. I would also drain the oil so it doesn't fill up the airbox or anything weird.

It may be better for you to suspend the bike with soft ropes or straps from a beam, tree limb, or a diy A-frame built from lumber or even two sturdy step ladders and a strong board spanned across them. (use clamps to secure the board to the ladders to it doesn't slip off and smack you in the skull)

I've never felt the need to lay a bike on it's side. What work are you doing?

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Didn't think he meant to do some work on it.

I have a two ton hoist in my barn. I just raise the bike up so the pegs are at about eye level. Do anything you want at that height.

PS. ( He could have been a speedway rider. Lol. )

RE.---kick the bike away from you OR hang on to the handlebars and throttle.---Drop into a ditch or slide into the oncoming cars.
Laying the bike down could be a critical decision.----:book------------or-----:angel

21 - 40 of 44 Posts