Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had a couple of hours spare today - and it wasn't raining for a change - so I went to test ride another CB1000R.

Interesting how one bike can differ to another - this one was not as smooth, it had a lot of free play in the throttle, nothing happened in the first quarter of throttle travel!.

Also the gearbox was a bit notchy, with a definite false neutral between 5th and 6th - really annoying.

Finally, the brakes were nowhere near as sharp as the last one I rode - both were ABS models too!

So, going to see if I can borrow one for the day tomorrow to give it a proper work out!

Anyone else experience these issues?
RBD914

·
Registered
876 Posts
Also the gearbox was a bit notchy, with a definite false neutral between 5th and 6th - really annoying.
That's interesting, Alan is looking into returning his because of the same problem. Any idea what mileage the demo had clocked up?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The demo bike had 1440 miles on it, the false neutral was more noticeable when you chenged up without the clutch.

What I hear you say - no clutch?!! All the bikes I have owned can go up the gearbox without the clutch - you just take the load off the engine by backing off the throttle slightly and applying gentle pressure to the gear lever and hey presto, in she goes! Takes a bit of practice to get the timing right but once mastered it's much faster when accelerating hard or just being plain lazy - does no damage to the engine, but never, ever do the same thing changing down - now that will knacker the gearbox!

RBD914

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Hi RBD. Funny thing is that I thought the play in my throttle seemed more than it should be, but not detrimental to the bikes performance; it's still as smooth as I expected, and it's not as much play as you say, just more than I ever had before. That's something I'll be asking to be looked at while it's in for the first service.

As for the false neutral, can you tell us a bit more about that? As JJON says, Alan has reported something similar on his bike which I believe flared up after something like 60 miles. He reported a (sorry if I'm inaccurate here) clunking/grinding noise at the same time. Can you tell us more about the symptoms that you experienced?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Antnee said:
Hi RBD. Funny thing is that I thought the play in my throttle seemed more than it should be, but not detrimental to the bikes performance; it's still as smooth as I expected, and it's not as much play as you say, just more than I ever had before. That's something I'll be asking to be looked at while it's in for the first service.

As for the false neutral, can you tell us a bit more about that? As JJON says, Alan has reported something similar on his bike which I believe flared up after something like 60 miles. He reported a (sorry if I'm inaccurate here) clunking/grinding noise at the same time. Can you tell us more about the symptoms that you experienced?
Sure, what I found was like 2 notches between 5th and 6th, unless you were really deliberate with the gear change it slipped into a false neutral really easily. I coud definitely feel a distinct resistance in the gear change. It was more pronounced with a clutchless gear change. However I found the entire gearbox very notchy i.e. not very smooth or precise on this particular bike. Whereas the first bike I test rode was smooth as silk in the gearbox department - never missed a gear, no false neutrals and it changed up without using clutch, no problem at all.

Maybe it's an early production run glitch - I would get it back to the dealers, test ride another for comparison, and not accept it back until fixed. Hey, it's only gonna get worse!

Good Luck - let us know the result.
RBD914

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Yes, travel distance between 5/6 ratios seem a bit further, just boot up firmly. Am currently more concerned about suspension settings as brisk motorway progress has the forks extending and the rear squatting like a bear in the woods. (even when kinda lying down on the tank).
BTW, checked speedo against Sat Nav: 32 on bike =30, 43=40, 66= 60 and .....erm 133 = 128.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts