Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CB1000R (Black Ed)
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those who are still tweaking their suspensions and are still not happy with it, please don't forget something else, which is not related to the suspension but will yield (at least) a 30% improvement in absorbing shocks on the road --- your tire pressure.

Previously, I'm keen on keeping my tire pressure high (as in up to what the Owner's Manual recommended and what the sticker next to the chain says). Sometimes, I may even go 1-2 PSI above during the summer. But, high tire pressures has its price:
  • reduce comfort
  • lower stopping ability and grip because the contact patch is smaller.

Yesterday, I reduced my tire pressure down to 1 PSI below recommended and went out for a test ride. It was significantly more compliant and more comfortable. I'm sure the fuel consumption will suffer. So, there are the priorities to do your tradeoffs, and you would have to decide what are important to you. You can't have everything.

Lower tire pressuresRecommended tire pressures or slightly higher
Comfortbounciness and discomfort
Stopping power & safetyReduced grip and safety
Poorer fuel consumptionBetter fuel consumption

PS: all those eye-popping super low fuel consumption I was telling you guys was mainly due to high tire pressures.
PS2: Also, I'm sure most of you already know these; but, just in case, some people may not or have forgotten about it.

·
Registered
2022 Black Edition
74 Posts
I just stick with recommended pressures. I know enough to know they go up & down depending upon the ambient temp and when I ride of course but I never feel the urge to meddle beyond that. If I was a track day monster then things would probably be different. I did experiment and tweak the rear spring load and rebound over about a week ( going on the same route after adjusting one thing at a time I might add) when I first got it and am very happy with it now. Its firm/plush (to me) which I like and there’s no ‘boing’ going over yumps in the road and it generally rides quite flat when I brake or accelerate. Didn’t touch the front at all BTW. So will leave it alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, 35/41 for the CB?
What are other ppl running for "normal" road riding? (Ie, not double-ton peg scrapes :) )
36F / 38R here.
I’ve used these pressures on all the ‘litre’ bikes that I’ve owned for the last 25 years plus.
Honda, like almost all bike manufacturers these days, like to keep their handbooks simple by quoting a ‘one size fits all’ pair of pressures. That way, if you suddenly decide to take the girlfriend out as pillion, you don’t have to faff about altering tyre pressures for the extra weight on the back.
It also protects them from any litigation by the owner, as at all times the pressures will be ‘correct’. If you check out the tyre pressure stickers / handbook for your car however, you’ll find that most manufacturers still quote at least two sets of pressures to suit how many passengers or weight you’re carrying.
While Honda’s pressures may well absolve them from any court action, all they mean to a solo rider is an unnecessarily harsh ride. Don’t forget that when solo riding, the bike has an almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution, so why not use (approximately) equal pressures front and rear. I could go on, but you’re probably bored now !

·
Registered
2021 CB1000R (Black Ed)
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I always set the front at 36 psi cold which is recommended on every Honda I've owned. Underinflated tires are subject to cupping.
I wish we can all walk up to the "god" of under-inflated tires (aka Dave Moss) and tell him and his "disciples" that. He gets paid for teaching people how to under-inflate their street tires.
I'm sure there are some here and they will swiftly start attacking me. 😆

·
Registered
19 Posts
No attack, friend, but there is some validity to the discussion of lowered pressures for aggressive riding. Bridgestone (my current favorite) recommends pressures lower than you might expect for their S22 line when used at maximum pace. 2c.

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Pattern

·
Super Moderator
2019 CB1000R
1,714 Posts
No attack, friend, but there is some validity to the discussion of lowered pressures for aggressive riding.
Big disclaimer at the upper left of the chart you posted.
TRACK USE ONLY
On the track no one is concerned about tread life or brake pad life. Besides, what percentage of NSC models do you estimate even make it to the track?
Wheel Helmet Tire Motorcycle helmet Sports gear

That's me on the CBR

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,835 Posts
I always set the front at 36 psi cold which is recommended on every Honda I've owned. Underinflated tires are subject to cupping.
In my faster days, and influenced by track days, I used to run significantly lower than the recommended pressures. Like, 30-32 front and rear... which did give more a compliant ride, and better grip, but... as Bevo says, cups the tires pretty quickly. Not so much, these days... ( But it IS fun!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
On the track no one is concerned about tread life or brake pad life. Besides, what percentage of NSC models do you estimate even make it to the track?

That's me on the CBR
A low percentage, they're really not good track material. Evolved to be street bikes. And I agree, running lower pressures can accelerate tire wear. But it does increase performance returns during aggressive riding. I raced for a few years, have done lots of track time as well. I'm not recommending that people run track pressures during commuting, just pointing out that lowered pressures for performance are not a fabrication by D. Moss.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Helmet Automotive tire

COTA on my old GSX-R.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts