Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I just posted a hello in New Introductions and now on to the important stuff.....:) A little background, I've been riding sport bikes since 1982, many many track days and about 4 years road racing. Of everything I've learned over the years is Suspension is the number thing to set up for a stable and confident ride. But, it seems most riders find it too complicated and just ride the bike as is. I am guilty of this as well for the first 600km I put on my bike.

so I was out riding and came upon a group of hooligans :) I thought I'll just tuck in behind them and give them an idea what the new CB1000R can do. WRONG....we hit a long right hand sweeper and they were gone. The insecurity I felt and the bike moving under me was not a good feeling...what the hell!! Thats IT! Time to set the suspension. A friend came over and helped me set the sag the next day.

I'm 5'11, weigh approx 205 lbs with gear on.

I had to make drastic changes to the preload both front and rear to put this bike in the sweet spot. These number are just for reference based on my weight. So before you make any adjustments, record your current set up so you can go back if you want. Ideally you are looking for about 30% of your total travel.

Front Preload - 18 turns in. Max 20 turns.....indicates I should probably look at a new springs....
Front Compression - 2 turns out from Full hard
Front Rebound - 2 turns out from full hard

Rear Preload - 8 out of 10 ..... Also indicates a possible spring upgrade
Rear Rebound 1.25 turns out from Full Hard.

These changes made a night and day difference to the ride and handing of this bike. If you haven't yet, Please find someone to help you set the static sag of your bike. Good Luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for posting the settings! I'm about 10lbs. off of your weight.

Hi Guys, I just posted a hello in New Introductions and now on to the important stuff.....:) A little background, I've been riding sport bikes since 1982, many many track days and about 4 years road racing. Of everything I've learned over the years is Suspension is the number thing to set up for a stable and confident ride. But, it seems most riders find it too complicated and just ride the bike as is. I am guilty of this as well for the first 600km I put on my bike.

so I was out riding and came upon a group of hooligans :) I thought I'll just tuck in behind them and give them an idea what the new CB1000R can do. WRONG....we hit a long right hand sweeper and they were gone. The insecurity I felt and the bike moving under me was not a good feeling...what the hell!! Thats IT! Time to set the suspension. A friend came over and helped me set the sag the next day.

I had to make drastic changes to the preload both front and rear to put this bike in the sweet spot. These number are just for reference based on my weight. So before you make any adjustments, record your current set up so you can go back if you want. Ideally you are looking for about 30% of your total travel.

Front Preload - 18 turns in. Max 20 turns.....indicates I should probably look at a new springs....

These changes made a night and day difference to the ride and handing of this bike. If you haven't yet, Please find someone to help you set the static sag of your bike. Good Luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man, Tangor, you will love the bike with these settings. Just dial it in a go for a ride. Please let me know your thoughts.

Brian

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and one more thing I forgot to mention....with the rear spring preload much stiffer, the front wheel wants to come up quite quickly! When the spring is soft from the factory, the ass just sags when you accelerate....

·
Registered
590 Posts
what was sag% before and after, for front and rear?

i've only tried putting up rear preload a bit as it felt lazy turning in.. haven't fiddled much yet.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Those observations and setting are spot on. Out of the crate the bike is way too soft and set for an extremely relaxed feel. My settings both front and rear are near on exactly the same. They suit my weight and riding style.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
what was sag% before and after, for front and rear?

i've only tried putting up rear preload a bit as it felt lazy turning in.. haven't fiddled much yet.

I'll have to dig up my notes, but the front forks were the worst. Don't be scared to make the adjustments. It will change everything about how you ride. If your bike is still on stock settings go for a ride and find a nice left or right corner, go in fairly quick, hit the front brakes to scrub off speed and then hit the corner. You will see and feel how much the front end dives and then when you let go the brake the bike bounces back up. This is what you need to control so your bike stays planted beneath you.

The settings I provided is a great base for those around the 200 lb weight.

NOTE: do not adjust any compression or rebound until your pre-load is set!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Made these adjustments to mine this evening. I'm off on Friday will report back. Just making those changes and checking them static I can tell the rear is much less spongy and the front when holding the brake and bouncing the rebound is much more controlled.
I may run down to my local suspension guy and have him check it for grins.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've done another 200miles over the weekend. Pretty pleased with the settings based on roads that I know well. I decide to let John at P1 Racing in Tomball set it up even after using CBBri's settings. Rear is definitely the weak sister in the suspension. My preload is 9/10 and rebound is .5 from full hard (both likely due to my weight). He said the front was pretty close but dialed in some more compression. Similar to what CBBri said could probably be improved with spring change.

Interesting that John has already done a rear Ohlins (old gen version) on a new '18. He said it would fit but it's tight. He indicated Ohlins was working on one for '18. Price point around 1K USD.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'll have to dig up my notes, but the front forks were the worst. Don't be scared to make the adjustments. It will change everything about how you ride. If your bike is still on stock settings go for a ride and find a nice left or right corner, go in fairly quick, hit the front brakes to scrub off speed and then hit the corner. You will see and feel how much the front end dives and then when you let go the brake the bike bounces back up. This is what you need to control so your bike stays planted beneath you.

The settings I provided is a great base for those around the 200 lb weight.

NOTE: do not adjust any compression or rebound until your pre-load is set!
did some measurements and adjustments tonight. (and yes, now you mention it the front dive was a bit disconcerting)
glad you said not to be scared!! the front pre-load adjustment didn't do that much at all..

settled on 7 / 1.33 from hard for rear to start. see how it goes tomorrow
arse of bike feels higher now.

Graphs to show how quickly things change with adjustments.... not very fast...
CB1000R-suspension-settings.jpg

and made a "one-man rear sag measurey thingy"
plastic that bolts to seat lock bolt, pastic covered coat-hanger wire
washer, tube and cable-tie.. and foam to wedge the wire into the hub hole

rear-sag-thingy.jpg

·
Registered
590 Posts
That looks good if you do it often

Although there is no steel at the rear axle for the magnet to hold on to. Maybe the wheel nuts, but the rims spokes stick out.
Or sit it on the ground?

Could probably hook the loop on the seat catch panel, as it has a few holes in it. Needs something that holds it out 2-3" so it would be vertical too..

edit: first ride with new settings.. i'm liking it :) feels firmer, may bump the rear up to full CBBri spec next week

·
Registered
54 Posts

I took your advise, had a play with the suspension. Mine was still standard. I’m a little lighter than you so using your method come up with a setting somewhere in between standard and yours. Definitely made a big difference. Cheers :thumbup

·
Registered
108 Posts
Tried out the settings suggested, much better although for me I feel the back needs a slightly heavier spring. Probably prove easier for me to lose a little weight though :rollin

Thanks for sharing CBBri

1 - 20 of 23 Posts