Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all. After 8 years of blackbird ownership I've just bought a spanking new CB1R. All I need now is some decent weather! So while I'm waiting for that to happen a couple of questions! Lots of of options on exhausts but what's the general feeling on what's best? Not looking for massive power gains but just some thing that improves the looks & drops a bit of weight. Do most people leave the cat on or not? Also, is there a grab rail available that doesn't look too horrible? Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,583 Posts
Welcome. I don't think there is any aftermarket grab rail of any sort on the market. The bike does have some hidious cut outs under the pillion seat to sort of hold onto and the even more hidious strap that goes over the pillion seat.
As for exhausts they are a personal choice and there are many to choice from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't say what's best but I can share my experience of the Honda approved akra slip on. I've owned 2 CB1rs in the past, both totally stock. This time I had the dealer fit the slip on, leaving the cat pipe unchanged. I was looking for a better noise with a bit more performance as a nice bonus.
I thought this was a Honda approved mod, given it's an accessory they list, but the effect on the fuelling is not very nice at all - with a lot of surging at constant throttle , worst between 3 and 4k. I'm not running with the removeable baffle - but that's the point of changing the can.
If the visuals bother you then take note that ditching the stock can but retaining the cat pipe leaves the collector box on show, which as it isn't designed to be seen isn't a looker. So far as I can see the only cover is a carbon one for about £120.00.
So my dilemma is do I (1) stick in the baffle, hope this makes the fuelling acceptable and pay for a bit of carbon (but loose the sound), or (2) go for a power commander PC-V with the baffle out, a tune up and a bit of carbon, or (3) the power commander + new link pipe with no cat + retune, but no carbon cover.
All these are expensive and solutions to a problem I was not expecting to face. Hope this helps and welcome comments from others (except refitting the stock pipe - that's out!). Of course this will also give a big weight drop , but the balance is superb and feeling light without mods - unlike say a Speed or Z thou.
Enjoy the bike!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have a belt I wear with handles on for the pillion to hold onto when I have one which is vary vary rare, I love the look of the street fighter mean bike so most the time I have my seat cowl on and I think IMO a grab rail no matter how good it is would ruin the look, as for zorsts there's plenty that will fit the CB1R I went for the Arrow end can and left the cat on, to me the bike looks a lot better and without the baffles in it has a deep grunt and sounds supercalafragalystic :thumbup

·
Registered
120 Posts
I too went from a Blackbird to the cb1000r. Remove the cat and fit a YOSHIMURA R77 as you have the choice of having baffle in or out. The R77d does not have that option. Order it from one of the ebay sites from America but remember you will get hit with an import charge of around £80... Get a POWER COMMANDER 5 from Dynojet here on this forum, they will preload the map for you so it is ready to plug and play. It totally transforms the bike. Gives it loads more power and loses alot of weight, sounds the bees knees too...
Takes the bike from being quite quick and rather sedate sounding,to an absolute animal which requires respect on hard throttle openings;)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Exhausts are horses for courses, depends what your criteria are. In the end I chose mine based on the cons of the other exhaust, didn’t want to pay big bucks, didn’t want to lose ground clearance, had to be road legal for MOT and insurance etc etc. In the end opted for a carbon Leo Vince.

Definitely remove the cat!. Its fugly and furthermore it weighs a tonne, so ditching should help the CB with handling and acceleration. Removing the cat gives a much deeper sound. It contains multiple chambers that suppresses the exhaust note quite a bit. Also you will probably get quite a lot of popping on the overrun.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think the "best" exhaust would be the full system from Arrow. I think it's relatively inexpensive and a great value. Top notch quality too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Had Yoshimura end can fitted to bike pre-delivery by dealer .. specific for CB1R. Looks and sounds great ... but I would say that !! ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I like my IXIL exhaust, about $125 dollars shipped here in the US. I cut off the baffle and it sounds great. I dynoed before and after and picked up 5whp and dropped about 10lbs from the stock exhaust. Do some bar end mirrors and you can look like me haha! The best exhaust option in my opinion is the Yoshi R-77 with a PC5 and a tune. It will set you back a bit but is good for a decent bump in mid-range and sounds really good.
Bryan Moto.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
osu,

i am in usa too. where did u get ixil from? did u remove cat? any back popping?
I think it was called indysupersports.com, cat is still in place, not much back poping, great improvement to the sound though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I fitted the carbon akra with de cat and power commander. Transforms bike not only with an increase in power but massive weight savings so handling muchIimproved. Now sounds like it looks. I actually think the carbon yoshi looks best but that wasn't available four years ago. Get some shorty brake and clutch levers whilst you're at it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I went with a Blue Flame system with de-cat pipe because I liked the way it didn't cover the back wheel. It runs very well without a PCV but runs superbly with one :thumbup

I've not seen a nice looking grab rail for our bikes yet but I suppose the one Chrisst2 suggested would be my choice if I had to have one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts