Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
A broad question, but I think I take the cake.
I received my Oberon Streetfighter mirrors from the uk in 6 days馃憤Very excited to install them, removed the bar end weights and actually found the internal weights really easy to remove. I thought I might be able to push the internal weights in far enough to be able to fit mirrors but no dice.
鈿♀殹鈿♀殹Brilliant idea!! I could get out the caulking gun and pump liquid nails (didn鈥檛 have any silicon handy) through the bars from one side to the other. Great! Even weight distribution, should stop any vibrations. Excellent.
When tightening the right hand bar weight into position, I noticed something didn鈥檛 look quite right with the kill switch. A strange oozing substance like the blob seeping from under the starter button.
Fcuk!! Turns out there is a hole in the bars under RH switch block that I used to completely fill throttle and switch assembly with liquid nails馃サ馃サ
I pulled back cover from assembly and tried to clean it out but couldn鈥檛 get into front for fear of more damage so bolted everything back up, put it into rain mode(never use rain mode normally) in case throttle seized or shorted out and straight to Maitland Motorcycles(great blokes). With no available switch blocks in the country and looking like bike off the road for weeks, Jody and the team dropped everything and went to work,(amid raucous laughter) Stripped it, cleaned it, flushed out bars and good as new. $250 later, a very fair price I thought and I can confidently say that I AM THE DUMBEST PERSON ALIVE!!
note- if you ever pump liquid nails through your bars, do not hesitate to get it to someone less stupid than yourself or it will probable be to late.
More importantly, don鈥檛 EVER, EVER, PUMP LIQUID NAILS THROUGH YOUR BARS!!!!
So, how dumb are you???

Registered
05 919; 14 CB1000R; 18 CB1000R
Metal nails might yield better results.

Glad you got it all fixed for a decent price though.

Afterthought edit:
Okay, you got me thinking about it. Just putting enough in to fill the middle portion of the bar. Maybe using something to plug the bar up from filling to the controls. I've been rocking bar end mirrors on my bikes since 2006 and have just dealt with the Honda I4 vibes. I wonder if filling the bars would actually cancel some or even most of the vibes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4

Afterthought edit:
Okay, you got me thinking about it. Just putting enough in to fill the middle portion of the bar. Maybe using something to plug the bar up from filling to the controls. I've been rocking bar end mirrors on my bikes since 2006 and have just dealt with the Honda I4 vibes. I wonder if filling the bars would actually cancel some or even most of the vibes.
I think I鈥檒l try getting some clear hose just big enough to slip in neat and fill that. When silicone has 2/3 cured will slide in and using M6 /80mm bolts will attach Oberon bar ends which will allow the collet or bar weight to function normally as well as securing each end of hose on the end of the longer bolts馃馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #5

Afterthought edit:
I solved the issue, using slightly modified internal bar weights. Zero vibrations in handlebars or mirrors and bar ends are on much more securely.
Read Oberon Streetfighter install for details.

Registered
05 919; 14 CB1000R; 18 CB1000R
I solved the issue, using slightly modified internal bar weights. Zero vibrations in handlebars or mirrors and bar ends are on much more securely.
Read Oberon Streetfighter install for details.
I was just looking at that thread. I bought mine used with bar end mirrors already installed. I might copy your method and purchase some OEM bar end weights for myself. Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I was just looking at that thread. I bought mine used with bar end mirrors already installed. I might copy your method and purchase some OEM bar end weights for myself. Thanks.
No worries, hope it saves you from some of the frustration I had. Have fun馃憤

1 - 9 of 9 Posts