Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two major expenses for my bike I want to buy this summer but I am not sure which order to get them.

1. A slip-on (probably an SC-project but not decided yet).
2. A Marushin RS1 helmet.

My current helmet is 4 years old and bits have started falling off (like the ventilation buttons).

Which would you prioritize, the helmet or the slip-on?

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
I don't want to sound like an old fart but seeing as your helmet is starting to get tatty I would replace that first-you can't buy a replacement head should the worst happen. :D

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
hondachick said:
Well I am an old fart definately a helmet.
:clap Welcome to the newly formed old farts club ! :thumbup :lol

·
Registered
409 Posts
hass said:
I have two major expenses for my bike I want to buy this summer but I am not sure which order to get them.

1. A slip-on (probably an SC-project but not decided yet).
2. A Marushin RS1 helmet.

My current helmet is 4 years old and bits have started falling off (like the ventilation buttons).

Which would you prioritize, the helmet or the slip-on?
My god 4 years and it's falling apart I have had my Shoei XR1000 5 years with plenty of use and it's almost like new.

Interior is still plush and all the buttons and sliders are fine, invest in a decent helmet mate.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
descb600f said:
My god 4 years and it's falling apart I have had my Shoei XR1000 5 years with plenty of use and it's almost like new.

Interior is still plush and all the buttons and sliders are fine, invest in a decent helmet mate.
It is a decent helmet - an X-lite 801R. Shoei don't fit my head, I thought they did until I tried the X-lite. Before that I had a Shoei.

However, the quality on the X-lite is a tad poor. But you shouldn't keep a helmet for more than 5 years anyway - as it won't work as well after that. The main impact absorbing function of a helmet is in the polystyrene inner shell which gradually hardens and compresses in use and exposure to air. After five years or so it's much more brittle an innefective so time to buy a new helmet.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Go on get the CAN! be a devil! :devil

Anyway i always say if im going to hurt something, my head is the safest as nowt to damage in there! :lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
i think my helmet is about 7 years old, but its too comfy to replace. Its a AGV Flyer. But i will probably have to get anupdate soon.
But in response to the question..... im unsure!!

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
I think the helmet option is a no-brainer. HELMET

Andy, I think you need a new helmet too; I had an AGV V-Flier as my first helmet, and when I came off (at 35mph-ish, hitting nothing but the floor) I smashed three teeth and had enormous bruising to my head. Here are some pics:

First and last AGV helmet I'll ever own :thumbdown

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Oh....."slip on", sorry, I got missled thinking topic was "slip in helmet".
Anyway here is the helmet I've owned for over 40 years, only mine is in a pinkie colour. Its not a flip up as they cut that off when I was a nipper, ( something similar to trying to pull on a polo neck jumper that was two sizes too small). Its called Pink Vader and has deffo been Shoeid about over the years. Looking a bit tattered now, wear and tear once I stopped using the Featherlite Visors, but the force is still with him 'cept after a few beers when his saber wand goes U shaped and then its like trying to play snooker with a piece of string.

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
hass said:
descb600f said:

It is a decent helmet - an X-lite 801R. Shoei don't fit my head, I thought they did until I tried the X-lite. Before that I had a Shoei.

However, the quality on the X-lite is a tad poor. But you shouldn't keep a helmet for more than 5 years anyway - as it won't work as well after that. The main impact absorbing function of a helmet is in the polystyrene inner shell which gradually hardens and compresses in use and exposure to air. After five years or so it's much more brittle an innefective so time to buy a new helmet.

It's not as cut and dry as that it depends on exposure to sunlight and storage conditions.

They say 5 years as a guide line but this is five years from start of use and could have been in a box for 3 years before this.

I have a nice new XR1000 in the cupboard I bought at the NEC last year for half price ready for use.

It was more a comment on your helmet falling apart after 4 years.

If the buttons can't stay on what else is now sub standard that you don't know about.

I love my loud can but I love my life more you need to be alive and well to enjoy the can.

But I wouldn't tell anyone what to do it's your life mate live it how you want but you are looking for advice that is why you started this thread is it not?

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
descb600f said:
hass said:
descb600f said:

It's not as cut and dry as that it depends on exposure to sunlight and storage conditions.

They say 5 years as a guide line but this is five years from start of use and could have been in a box for 3 years before this.

I have a nice new XR1000 in the cupboard I bought at the NEC last year for half price ready for use.

It was more a comment on your helmet falling apart after 4 years.

If the buttons can't stay on what else is now sub standard that you don't know about.

I love my loud can but I love my life more you need to be alive and well to enjoy the can.

But I wouldn't tell anyone what to do it's your life mate live it how you want but you are looking for advice that is why you started this thread is it not?
Absolutely, I wanted convincing that I should get the helmet and sod the can just now. My comments about helmet age were mostly for information for those who don't understand that helmets do get old even if they look fine.

I appreciate your comments and advice and am glad to hear you have a shiny new Shoei on a shelf at home! I agree that the X-lite is showing signs of bad quality and for a helmet of that price I was also disappointed about the sharp test results. However, it fits like a glove and I am convinced that a 4star helmet that fits really well is better than a 5star helmet that fits just ok.

Luckily the Marushin RS1 fits just as well, weighs alot less, and got more stars in the sharp tests :thumbup

·
Registered
409 Posts
I feel the jury is still out on the SHARP test when cheap £50 helmets can fair better than Arai's and Shoei's and the manufacturers who have been doing research for years and have 100's of racers wearing there products disagree with the basic analysis I will stick with my expensive 4 Star helmet.

Arai have shown by sticking a bit of foam padding at the ear they can gain a star (it's only not there so the helmet is more comfy around the ear).

Being in the unfortunate position of having crash tested a few helmets in my time I cannot remember any of mine having side damage anywhere near the ear but plenty had damage at the front but a helmet scores more for protection around the ear than at the front.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I was told as a child always look after your helmet. If you have an accident you could be a cabbage the rest of your life and the sound of your CB wont matter a toss.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts