Honda CB1000R Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I might be a bit weird here, but am I the only person who actually likes a nice quiet exhaust - mainly so I can hear the purr of the engine?

Does anyone know if there's a slip on can that's as quiet as the OEM... Or am I hoping against the laws of physics?
even with the small akrapovic can, with no db killer, bike sounded very civilized. as long as you keep the stock headers and udder.
i hate loud pipes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’m curious about how these are euro 4 compliant if the cat is removed? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
406 Posts
I’m curious about how these are euro 4 compliant if the cat is removed? Am I missing something?
The cat is not removed. The slip-on attaches to the cat just like the OEM muffler does.

I installed this

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
406 Posts
but I was feeling pretty guilty about the emissions if the cat is removed.
FYI, to remove the cat you have to cut it off. The headers and the cat are a single part. Akrapovič, SC-Project, and REMUS all sell slip-ons that attach to the cat.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Doesn't it have like 27 CATs? Isn't the 'muffler' also a CAT?

So technically, replacing the muffler with a slip-on makes it not Euro-5 compliant.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
406 Posts
So technically, replacing the muffler with a slip-on makes it not Euro-5 compliant.
SC-Project slip-on = Homologation – EC, TUV approved Yes - street legal - EURO 4. Not sure where you're getting Euro-5.
Can you point to any info that the OEM muffler is a catalytic converter?

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
406 Posts
Oh beautiful. I’m looking at the same one actually. Can you post a sound clip?

How loud is it? Obnoxious or not?
If it's louder than OEM, it's not by much. If you scroll down on the Akrapovič website, you can listen to a side by side comparison which sounds very similar to the SC-Project.

Here's the link: Akrapovič

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
SC-Project slip-on = Homologation – EC, TUV approved Yes - street legal - EURO 4. Not sure where you're getting Euro-5.
Can you point to any info that the OEM muffler is a catalytic converter?
Someone posted an image of the exhaust internals a few weeks ago. I can't find it right now.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
406 Posts
Someone posted an image of the exhaust internals a few weeks ago. I can't find it right now.
Yup, but it just showed the chambers inside the muffler as an answer to my question as to whether there was a flapper in the exhaust system as found in SC57 and SC77 models. It's not a catalytic converter. The muffler attaches to the cat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If it's louder than OEM, it's not by much. If you scroll down on the Akrapovič website, you can listen to a side by side comparison which sounds very similar to the SC-Project.

Here's the link: Akrapovič
Those big mufflers sound pretty darn similar to the stock can. The side by side at the bottom of that page is pretty similar. The smaller cans like the one you have seem to have more bass and less breathyness

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
406 Posts
The smaller cans like the one you have seem to have more bass and less breathyness
So my SC-Project is street legal and Euro 4. Not sure all those small cans are.

THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT MEET EMISSION COMPLIANCE REQUIREMENTS FOR STREET OR HIGHWAY USE.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts