Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I had my side stand snap yesterday on my 2015 model. It just broke as I leaned the bike onto it after a ride, had to make a real effort not to drop the bike.
Has this happened to any one else?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I think that's the first time anybody has said that on here.--And I've been on the forum ten years now.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Looking at those pictures I would say that side stand has been cut, possibly to shorten it. It has been welded back together with very poor penetration on the weld and it is the poor weld that has caused it to fail.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
That's a very clear shot of your fingers but that break is hard to see. Difficult to tell if it was a break or a cut.

The welding though, as Geordie says, is total rubbish. If the stand was to be used again it should have had a sleeve welded over the break.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Looking at those pictures I would say that side stand has been cut, possibly to shorten it. It has been welded back together with very poor penetration on the weld and it is the poor weld that has caused it to fail.
This!

The first thing I though was, "Where is the rest of it? It looks too short."

A proper weld will be stronger than the part. Either have that one properly welded or buy a new one. If the bike is still lowered, just fix the one you have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at those pictures I would say that side stand has been cut, possibly to shorten it. It has been welded back together with very poor penetration on the weld and it is the poor weld

that has caused it to fail.
The dealership agrees with you Geordie
They say it is an after market stand that has been shortened and the weld has failed.
That means I owe an apology to Honda for my thoughts on this matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts