Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

Don't know where to start, but I would like to ask your opinion, however I know all the answers coming. :)

I used to be a CB400 owner, that's a good old perfect bike for newbies. Suddenly I lost my mind and sold it. So I need a "replacement". Always loved Honda and the CB series, never really thought of another brand. My first interest was the little Hornet, but they changed the style from naked to a streetfighter. The whole atmosphere has been changed, more yumpie started to use it as a "power indicator". Sorry, don't want to offend anyone, just my feelings. The 919 is more conservative. Unfortunately here in Finland it is not so popular, and the closest one is about 500 km away.

Anyway, when I faced with the masked alien fighter on page 21 Bike Magazine July 2008, I was bewitched. Grabbed me, and still holds. :help :help

Yesterday another strange thing happened: found a very nice CB900 in the next city, so I immediately went and saw it. Except some small scratch on the crankcase and wind screen it was flawless. Don't know 100% of course, but feel that it was really a stand fall not an accident. It's price is half as the CB1000R, comes with a huge tail bag which I like.

And here is my dilemma: in two weeks I'll have my birthday. Which one would you chose? Ride now at half price with an old love or wait (most probably 2 months) for the new love (what needs to be retuned a bit: mirrors, maintenance stand, etc)?

And it is good to be here.

Thanks,
b.fi

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
When you say CB900 do you mean the older, type naked streetbike... rather than the CB900F (919/900 Hornet).

What are you looking for in a bike.... speed, torque, good all-rounder, touring capabilities, weekend madness, style, retro looks etc...

A CB1000R will I'm sure be very different from a old CB900.... and probably very different to a CB900F so it is difficult to really say what way to go.

Financially could you afford to buy the CB1000R, it is afterall a very expensive bike.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
DAN said:
A CB1000R will I'm sure be very different from a old CB900.... and probably very different to a CB1000R so it is difficult to really say what way to go.
If I were a pedantic man I'd point out that the CB1000R will most likely be exactly the same as the CB1000R Dan, but I'm not so... :lol

jakab.fi, for me there's no question that you should get the CB1000R. I don't know why you'd need to retune it though, not from the reviews I've read! :thumbup

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAN said:
When you say CB900 do you mean the older, type naked streetbike... rather than the CB900F (919/900 Hornet).
I mean the CB900F Hornet; you're right, should be clarified.

DAN said:
What are you looking for in a bike.... speed, torque, good all-rounder, touring capabilities, weekend madness, style, retro looks etc...
Yes, I heard many times the use case question (not only in this particular one but in many other too) and completely agree with it. I am not interested in speed and track days, prefer a very reliable engine with power available at every range. Mostly will be used for commuting to work and back, very short distance unfortunately, rolling around the city, etc. This is the current situation. I mean I won't always live so close, will have a summer cottage some day (I hope), so the touring capabilities are welcome. On the other hand style and look are also on the list.

I know that I don't need 120 horses and I can spend that 15000 euro (yep, you heard right (let me check the lottery numbers, erghhh)) more clever way; but CB1000R looks gorgeous and new. The CB900F is a 2003 model, not exactly the one can be sold in 3-4 years.

Having something is not always about needs, sometimes it's desire.

Antnee:
Retune. Maybe it is better to say: put some accesories on it.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Ah, I understand, you want to accessorise the bike :thumbup At the moment it looks like most of us are buying a black one so I guess we need to make them all a little different eh? :lol

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
You are pedantic Ant! (twat!) :lol ;)

...thanks for pointing that out...

Jakab... I think the CB1000R will be perfect.... I loved my CB900F Hornet.... it's a great all round bike but lacks the power say compared to my Yamaha FZ1-N. But the CB1000R updates the looks, suspension, engine...... so many area's are going to be new and I hope better than the old 900 Hornet which is going to make for a fantastic package.

However the price is clearly a factor.... there is no point stretching yourself if you really can not afford to buy the bike or have other financial pressures to consider.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Jakab.fi

Why dont you wait for the release of the CB1000r then test drive both of them(CB1000r and the hornet). Having owned 2 cb400 before, i can say that the delivery of power and handling between the cb400 and the cb900 is very different. You mentioned that you dont need that much power and also can afford either of the bikes. So, if i were you, i will wait for the release of the new CB, test drive both of them, before deciding what to buy..imo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts