Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 purchased new in 2016. Garage kept. Always torqued to spec. Has anyone heard of a swingarm pinch bolt seizing on these bikes?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
yes. (altho this may be a slightly different issue than yours...)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes. (altho this may be a slightly different issue than yours...)
In my case it's the pinch bolt. I believe the dealership over torqued it which damaged the threads when they replaced the OEM chain. They think the bolt just seized, but the threads that are damaged are the few that line up with the gap on the swingarm that is pinched when the bolt is torqued. I actually have the correct C spanner to adjust the chain which I let the dealer use since the service department didn't have one.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Got a picture?

If they over-torqued it and trashed the aluminum threads, I recommend (properly) installing a time-sert (not a heli-coil) as a solid permanent repair. A heli-coil will work, but they are cheesy and I personally don't like to use them for long term repairs, especially when you know the bolt will be used often like a chain adjuster pinch bolt is. IMO a time-sert is the best reliable long-term option other than a new swingarm.

Also, find a new dealer to install it if they are having to borrow tools to adjust a chain. wtf man :rolleyes:

Reactions: Bevo

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a picture?

If they over-torqued it and trashed the aluminum threads, I recommend (properly) installing a time-sert (not a heli-coil) as a solid permanent repair. A heli-coil will work, but they are cheesy and I personally don't like to use them for long term repairs, especially when you know the bolt will be used often like a chain adjuster pinch bolt is. IMO a time-sert is the best reliable long-term option other than a new swingarm.

Also, find a new dealer to install it if they are having to borrow tools to adjust a chain. wtf man :rolleyes:
The problem is I've probably seen one other CB1000R in Houston so it's not a common bike that shows up for service, so they probably just use a screw driver or some other tool to adjust the chain, that's why I ordered the C spanner when I bought the bike because I always adjust and clean/lube my own chains. The bike's at the shop and I didn't take a pic. The pinch bolt had several threads in the middle of the bolt that were mangled. It looks like they would align with the gap in the swingarm. They're going to make it right I just wanted to do some research to make sure a seized bolt wasn't common. I'm almost 100% certain the tech just over torqued it as 55 ft lbs is not that much considering the rear axle nut on my CBR1000S1 is 100 ft lbs.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
But the c-spanner and thus the swing-arm are the same (same enough) as VFR. So shouldn't be a surprise to the dealer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But the c-spanner and thus the swing-arm are the same (same enough) as VFR. So shouldn't be a surprise to the dealer.
Probably not a surprise, but they didn't have the spanner so I loaned them mine because I didn't want them using a screwdriver or anything else someone without a C spanner might use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts