Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to buy a 14 cb1r but prefer the looks of round headlights. Is there an aftermarket replacement for the oem assembly? Any chance a swap for an 18+ assembly might work?

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
Any chance a swap for an 18+ assembly might work?
I seriously doubt it would work, but anything is possible. I had a 2014. Go to babbittsonline and check the parts diagram for both models

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I seriously doubt it would work, but anything is possible. I had a 2014. Go to babbittsonline and check the parts diagram for both models
Thank you. I checked out babbitsonline. Not sure what I can tell from the parts manual except a comparison of assemblies. Maybe I will get lucky and find someone local who will let me pull the assembly off of the front of their 18+ so that I can have a look.

What was your experience with the 2014? Significant pluses/negatives? Why did you get rid of it?

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
Thank you. I checked out babbitsonline. Not sure what I can tell from the parts manual except a comparison of assemblies. Maybe I will get lucky and find someone local who will let me pull the assembly off of the front of their 18+ so that I can have a look.

What was your experience with the 2014? Significant pluses/negatives? Why did you get rid of it?
It was a great bike. It had an Akrapovič open slip-on with the required Power Commander. So I was the only one to ever touch the pinch bolt on the swingarm and always used a torque wrench to tighten to the recommended 55 ft lbs. Well, when the OEM chain reached the end of its life I took the bike to the dealership to replace it. Months later when it was time for me to adjust the chain, the pinch bolt wouldn't loosen using the standard ratchet I always used, so I had to use a breaker bar that I use on my car's lug nuts. Then when it loosened, it started tightening back up before I made two turns. I knew something was jacked up. I adjusted the chain, then torqued the bolt to 55 but it hardly budged when it reached that point. I'm like, "what the hell?" So I rode the bike and the chain slacked to the max and started jumping the sprocket. I readjusted it, tightened the bolt with the breaker bar, and took it to the dealership. They were able to remove the pinch bolt but several threads in the middle of the bolt, which probably lined up with the gap in the pinch, were destroyed. They tried to tell me that the bolt just seized. I argued that the tech probably didn't use a torque wrench and probably over tightened it when they replaced the chain. Anyway, they had to remove the swingarm and send it to a machine shop to repair it. We came to an agreement that I would pay $40 for the repair for the service department to save face. Anyway, I didn't want to deal with what might be future problems with the repair, so I traded it in on a 2019 at a different dealership and took advantage of a $2K Honda rebate, plus the dealership knocked another $1K off the price and gave me a fair offer on my 2014.
17884455_10211222850959561_2476518501854931546_n.jpg

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
Significant pluses/negatives?
My main complaint on the bike was the tach display. When the sun was at certain angles it would cast a shadow over the tach and it would be completely black, so I had a HealTech shift light installed so as not to over-rev the engine.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
Not sure what I can tell from the parts manual except a comparison of assemblies.
So on the 2014 the headlight assembly attaches to #11 STAY, HEADLIGHT. On the 2018+ the headlight assembly attaches to #7 STAY, METER. Plus, if you go deeper than that the handlebar/top bridges are different. The ignition switch on the 2018+ is on the front of the fuel tank, not on the top bridge. I don't see anyway that the 2018+ headlight assembly is going to attach to the 2014 stay unless you use bailing wire and bubble gum, or if you're a custom bike builder and can fabricate parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I argued that the tech probably didn't use a torque wrench and probably over tightened it when they replaced the chain.
It's stuff like this that is the reason I do my own wrenching. Hopefully there is not much on the 2014 that I can't handle on my own.

Glad it ultimately worked out for you.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
Thanks. I will keep this in mind.
If you zoom in on the pic you can see the shift light on the handlebar just to the right of the top bridge. You can program it with your phone. Colors, flash rates, RPM range, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as you can see , far from a straight swap , starting from the wiring
I don't pretend to understand the diagram but your comment indicates wiring differences exist. Thank you for the heads up.

Nobody has indicated there are aftermarket options.

If i decide to attempt a swap i will update the thread

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is something that I have thought about over the past few years but done nothing about it. I also wondered how the gen 1 would look with a flat track style number board.
I'll be very interested in your progress.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts