Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
916 Posts
. I thought the QS on my SP was a little notchy but so far, it has been close to 100% reliable and there was never a hesitation in all of the gear shifting. I have to say that the QS on the NSC is less notchy and definitely smoother.
Interesting. The QS on my SP is seamless. My NSC QS is nice, but not as smooth.
I wished Honda had used stronger and lighter materials.
That would have resulted in a higher price on a bike that isn't a big seller as is.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
916 Posts
Some people complained about the rear shocks being too soft
The issue with the shock, and I've had my suspension adjusted by a professional for my weight, is that it tends to bounce. When traveling over a bump, it should compress, rebound, and stop. It doesn't, it continues to bounce some. My tech pointed this out as he was adjusting it. IMO Honda made the shock soft.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
916 Posts
Yup, an Öhlins or Race Tech would be better if they're offered for this bike. I haven't bothered to look because I'm not racing for a living.

The Öhlins forks on the SC77 are supposed to be serviced every 3 years, not the shock.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
916 Posts
Should I increase their stiffness more ?
Unlike your SC77, besides preload, the NSC shock can only be adjusted for rebound damping and not compression damping. For your weight, preload should be fine so the only option is adjusting the rebound.

Pro tip: On my commute there's an uneven expansion joint in the freeway that's quite a large bump. I lift my ass off the seat motocross style at 75mph just before I hit it.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
916 Posts
Some places 75 mph sounds optimistic
If you don't do 75 mph on open freeways in Houston you're likely to get run over. I've only been doing this for decades. 😉

On my SC77 SP when we're out in the country on group rides, some of the turns on our familiar routes have dips in them. I'll lift my ass off the seat while leaned over so that I'm not tossed around. Also, the bike's a bit more stable when my weight is only on the pegs.

Horse Helmet Horse tack Flat racing Equestrian sport

Like this except the bike is leaned over. ⬆ (y)

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
916 Posts
Elsewhere 75 mph will get you warned from the left lane first and from far
headlight flash,
then the driver behind
will brake with all it has to try not to kill the slow poke.

We brake for turtles.

1. The left lane is only for fast drivers that take over others
Don’t ever do 75 mph in the left lane if you have space on the right.

Been doing that for more than a few decades..
Don't try the left lane on a CB1000R
this bike is much to slow for Autobahn.

OTOH I fail to see what fun Autobahn riding on a slow two wheels would be.
Couple things:
Automotive parking light Car Sky Wheel Vehicle

Sky Car Land vehicle Cloud Wheel

Typical freeway in Houston

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
916 Posts
I jack stuff up
Hmmmm, never had a mechanical failure on a bike. Crashed a couple, but never a failure.
Bikes I've owned from the 21st Century only because I'm not revealing my age :LOL: :
2009 CBR600RR ABS
2009 CBR1000RR ABS
2010 CBR1000RR
2012 CBR1000RR
2005 XL1200C
2015 CB500F
2014 CB1000R
2017 CBR1000S1 (current)
2019 CB1000R (current)

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
916 Posts
So, are you saying you just jam the gear in without touching the clutch when you are above 2nd gear?
It's clutchless upshifting. You become the QS. In this case, when you want to upshift you reduce engine output by quickly rolling off the throttle a bit and lifting the shift lever. It's a common practice among experienced riders.

With a QS you keep the throttle fixed and the QS briefly kills engine output so you can upshift without the clutch.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
916 Posts
Yes, I heard of this but have always wondered about the wear+tear on the gears with using clutch vs clutch-less (manual or QS).
The video explains there's no harm to the transmission when done correctly. It's smooth as butter when done correctly. Been doing it a lot of years on a lot of bikes. It's common among the "kids" I ride with.

When you use the QS the clutch does not disengage.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts