Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda CB1000R Black Edition
22 Posts
Thanks again for the great review. (You actually saved me quite a bit of time because I was getting ready to do a quick review myself since I now have over 200 miles on it). Your review really captures much of how I feel about it. I'm going to provide some point-by-point thoughts on your outline:

1. Looks -- I think it checks most of the boxes. I find it to be a very handsome bike, with a strong dose of badassery present. The gas tank is a work of art IMO.

2. I like the exhaust note once is warms up. Great deep rumble at idle and 'I mean business' roar under acceleration. I will NOT be changing the factory exhaust.

3. Throttle / fueling --- close to perfection. This may have the best factory throttle/fueling result I've experienced in a stock bike. Starting with Euro 3 close to 10 years ago, I think a lot of motorcycle companies struggled with fueling. (I've had all 4 Japanese brands since 2008 -- and I believe it is true). Some were better than others, but in each case -- I had to send the ECU off for a reflash to fix it. I will admit -- the 2018 Triumph Street Triple R that I owned had perfect fueling as well. This BE is just as good; very very happy with the throttle. (Sidenote -- there is little if any driveline lash partly because of the terrific fueling. Obviously you need a properly adjusted chain if you would happen to experience it).

4. QS -- I like it. I generally use it acccelerating away ... but tend to use the clutch downshifting. No issues with it.

5. Braking -- front brakes are terrific. I've never been thrilled with any rear brakes and these are fine. The rear brakes are slightly better than the wooden feel of my previously owned 2018 Z900RS.

6. Vibration -- nothing of note. Maybe a little at some higher RPMs, but nothing that I wouldn't consider normal. For me, this is not a 400 mile a day motorcycle. There is no annoying or unusual vibrations to speak of IMO.

7. Naked bike -- check. I like naked bikes because that what I grew up (1981 Kawasaki KZ650). Someday -- I'll grow up and get a proper sport touring machine. 2022 Honda NT1100???

8. Chassis / suspension -- TBD. So far, I can report that the front forks perform nicely for my type of riding. (Leisurely pace most of the time around town -- and then high speed pursuit in the middle of nowhere around 10% of the time). The front forks are nicely composed for the current settings, however, yesterday on the 10% ride -- the rear shock can get unsettled on roads that have some undulations. We tried dialing in the settlings last week, but I may re-think the rear settings.

9. Weight -- no concerns. I find 467 to be perfectly acceptable for a motorcycle with this level of performance. I want a little heft behind it for straightline stability. In any event, the motorcycle doesn't feel heavy when riding it or when moving it around in the garage.

For the 1st 130 miles -- I rode around the countryside and city streets at a leisurely pace. Generally I kept the revs below 4 to 5 thousand -- no lugging, no serious zinging, and no hard stops. On the 80 mile ride yesterday, I took it up a notch and zinged it several times to 8,000 RPMs for very short bursts, but kept it mostly below 5,500 RPMs on average. I felt guilty for the 8,000 hammer on such a new motor, but it was definitely happy doing it. I have not and will not do any full throttle work until many more miles under the belt. I never know how to behave during the break-in period. There are so many opinions on the subject, i.e., similar to the constant oil debate where fights break out. I'm basically doing a light to medium break-in.

So far so good. I think it is a great motorcycle ----

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you for the review. Interesting read.

I have to admit that the bike is bouncy when I rode through road constructions areas. I may soften the suspension if it continues to be a problem.
Some people complained about the rear shocks being too soft in early copies of this model (mentioned in VisorDown First Ride review).
Factory may have made it too hard now.

Is yours too bouncy or too soft when you said "the rear shock can get unsettled" ?

It's always a deep pleasure to see another person enjoying his bike --- true therapy occurring in the whole being!
Tell us more when you ride more.
I read the same review about the rear shock being too soft. I probably let it influence me {too much} when we were doing the adjustments in the garage, which is unfortunate because I only had like 50 miles on it at the time. I should have ridden it more before doing the adjustments. Clearly a rookie mistake. The rear shock felt a little too stiff with the current setting on the undulating road. The Busa in front of me looked like it was tracking on rails, however, it's an unfair comparison because that motorcycle is like 22 ft long. ;.)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just purchased the same oil from Amazon moments ago for $45 just so I could get it before there's a price increase. I'm doing my first oil change on Sunday...not quite at the 600 mark. But I'm using Honda GN4 dino for my first change. No reason....just because. I'll use the 5100 on my next one after that.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts