Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just got my first CB1000 (2012 extreme model 👍🏻) and in the process of removing all the ‘Monster’ stickers that the previous owner applied!

The stickers and residue came off fine but they have left some ghosting - see pic. Presumably where the paint has faded on the rest of the panel?

Any ideas how I can make this better? I’ve tried to polish it a bit with a meguiars cutting compound I think this worked but I’m worried it will fade the panel even more.

My other idea is to try some back to black type stuff? I know the panels aren’t black but I figured that might hide it?

Anyone else had this issue? If it’s wasn’t Matt plastic it would be easier to fix!

Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike. Is the side panel painted? I’ve found matt finishes difficult to repair. Abrasive polishing will leave it shiny which might show even more. When I’ve had matt finishes to repair i came to the conclusion my options were paint it, renew it or put a suitable sticker over it. A new side panel is not too expensive, compared to say a tank or cowl, and might be the best option, depending how original you’d like it of course. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I don't think it's painted. I'd try some kind of auto plastic shine thing. Something for black plastic bumpers.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I hate to say it, but I reckon the ghosting is from fade in the exposed parts from UV in the sun. that's not gonna be easy to remove, without removing a thin layer of the material itself. the plastic is dyed, not painted... BigOne's suggestion might work...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
To expand on what BigOne said, Honda makes a clearcoat in a spray can called "plastic panel coating" that is for restoring the body cladding on Elements. It restores the texture and satin look to the plastic. May or may not work for your problem, IDK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts