Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all- i very slightly overfilled with oil on my oil change- i bought a siphon and it doesn’t do anything- i tried the spray bottle trick with the tube with quite a long spray head and nothing. Anyone got any tips?

thanks

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Just loosen the drain plug and hold it in the hole so the flow is slow and watch the sight glass. When the level is nearing correct, screw it back in.

Reactions: Bevo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Worked perfectly. Thanks! I was hesitant to try it with the drain plug as every time i change my oil i end up losing the bolt- didn’t feel like losing all my oil today but i was careful and it worked perfectly

·
Registered
998 Posts
Do not put a tube in through the filler cap and try to syringe the oil out. the tube will fall in the engine and you will then have to crack open the engine casing, get the tube, apply a new gasket and fill with new oil!

may have happened to 'a friend' :whistle: 🍿

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do not put a tube in through the filler cap and try to syringe the oil out. the tube will fall in the engine and you will then have to crack open the engine casing, get the tube, apply a new gasket and fill with new oil!

Good thing that didn’t happen to me- sounds like you got it figured out though haha

·
Registered
3,963 Posts

Use a longer tube.--Simples.

Reactions: panagiotis

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Use a longer tube.--Simples.
The problem isn't the length of the tube, it's the design of the engine. The oil sits in a small sump at the bottom of the engine and there is no oil in the clutch housing where the oil cap is. You are just sucking air unless you can somehow manage to snake the tube through a bunch of sharp turns and get all the way down to the sump which is the point where you get the tube caught on something and stuck inside your engine.

People do this on sport bikes to avoid removing any plastics during a change but it's still a garbage way to change the oil since the worst of the worst oil is going to be sitting on the bottom and that is the oil a tube will miss and you still can't service the filter.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
The problem isn't the length of the tube, it's the design of the engine. The oil sits in a small sump at the bottom of the engine and there is no oil in the clutch housing where the oil cap is. You are just sucking air unless you can somehow manage to snake the tube through a bunch of sharp turns and get all the way down to the sump which is the point where you get the tube caught on something and stuck inside your engine.

People do this on sport bikes to avoid removing any plastics during a change but it's still a garbage way to change the oil since the worst of the worst oil is going to be sitting on the bottom and that is the oil a tube will miss and you still can't service the filter.
Unscrew the oil filter to get some oil out that way. Unless you've put way too much in.
Still quick though even if you have to start the engine two or three times to get a bit more oil out.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Unscrew the oil filter to get some oil out that way. Unless you've put way too much in.
Still quick though even if you have to start the engine two or three times to get a bit more oil out.
Or drain it all out and start again. You won't do it twice though. Lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts