Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
By lock is stuck..... do you mean the bit your put your key in underneath or can you get the key in and it will turn but the lock on the inside does not move ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I can put the key in and turn it but the lock mechanism doesn’t release the seat

·
Registered
278 Posts
Did you try pressing down on the seat while turning the key? If it's not quite latched that might help.

Apart from that, that's a really good question ...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Try taking your fist and popping / punching down on the seat a little ... WHILE turning the key, gently, not so hard that you break the key off.

I don't know the CB's exact latching mechanism, but if it's like others, it's a metal tang that needs to slide along a metal bar, and when bikes are new the new rubber grommet, foam, etc. can be so tight that it's hard to turn the key. Or even if you can turn the key the tang itself doesn't slide to the open position.

You might wanna put a tough of grease on the tang once you get it open so it can slide easier.

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,673 Posts
Yes I can put the key in and turn it but the lock mechanism doesn’t release the seat
TracyB, are you being absolutely specific? I read that you can insert the key; check! I read that you can turn the key - questionable... I read that the seat does not release; check! I ask because there is a direct physical linkage between the key and the various moving parts that release the latch - therefore, IF the key moves, the various release components MUST also move.

I suspect you can insert the key, but you CANNOT rotate the key to release the latch. am I correct?

this can happen if you have something under the seat that moves into a position where it interferes with the operation of the various release 'bits'. here's a schematic, from the parts fiche:

latch-plus by Don Serl, on Flickr

1. the key tumbler is part #7. when you turn the key the tab circled in blue rotates counterclockwise, as per the arrow.
2. the release mechanism is part #6 ("seat catch"). the tab in part #7 fits under the curved tab circled in green. when the 'blue' tab rotates, it pulls the 'green' tab along with it.
3. the 'tang' circled in purple is actually what holds onto the seat. when the green tab pulls 'rightwards', the purple tang does so too, and releases the seat.
4. meanwhile, all of this is happening under the plate #1, with a U-shaped 'tab' from the seat inserted thru the slot circled in yellow.

... and here is (roughly) what the seat looks like, with the 'tab' added in blue.

seat-plus by Don Serl, on Flickr

moving on to reality, here's a photo of the underside of the seat. the U-shaped 'tab' which the latch mechanism holds onto is obvious.

IMG_2405 plus by Don Serl, on Flickr

I agree with other posters' comments about pressing on the seat and/or banging on it. something must be blocking the operation of the mechanism. I'd go so far as laying the bike down on its right side and 'jiggling' it vigorously, to try to free that obstruction.

if none of the above works, I'm sorry, but "you're screwed"! there is no easy way to remove the seat with the latch mechanism 'jammed'. I know because a friend once locked his key UNDER the seat after doing some work out on a trip, and had to destroy the seat to get the compartment open again and recover his key!

there is one vague possibility: you'll see in the photo that there is actually a hole in the plastic seat pan, directly above the U-shaped locking tab (orange foam visible thru the hole). this hole is 5.5 cm from the right side of the seat ( when in 'correct' upright position), and 6.5 cm forward of the rear edge of the seat on the line of its axis. rather than carving away a bunch of the seat covering and foam, you could try to punch thru the seat cover and foam with a narrow, flat-blade screw-driver, with the intention of forcing the latch tang ( the purple guy) open. you will be able to tell if you're in the right place, cuz you'll hit the plastic seat pan in about 2cm if you're not... whereas 'correct' positioning will allow about 4 cm to contact the tang... yes, you'll have a small hole in the seat fabric, but it's that or $125 for a new seat!

good luck. I've had the seat NEARLY jam a couple times with stuff shifting under the seat, and I've been lucky enough the free it without too much drama. I hope it works out for you too...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the key turns but not releasing the rear set. There is nothing inside the trunk box. Im thinkyto sawsall the bar on the seat itself. Then weld it. And expoy it back on. Ha

·
Registered
1 Posts
My seat rear seat would not release and I could not get to battery to charge it. I turned key, pounded on it, tried to wiggle and pound. Gave up over night. Tried again... nothing. Then I decided after reading someone saying to take off side flaring. It only takes the removal of two allen head screws ( of course different sizes) to see the locking mechanism and what did it see. Cable retainer to pull cable not in slot. Put the cable housing back in slot works as it is supposed to.
Do need to break anything.

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,673 Posts
Nicely done. There is a cable on the 'new' model; not on the 2009-2017 model...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts