Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Recently got a 2019 model.
I found the chart with all the advised values for the suspension settings.
i have them pretty much dialled down for my weight. BUT the rear preload is being a pain in the BUTT.
I've used all my strength but can't move the bloody thing. I've used so much force that there are tiny bumps where the spanner sits.
is there something that i'm missing ? maybe a lock of some sort ? the manual doesn't mention anything though.
How did you guys adjust your rear preload ?
do i need any special tool, it's the same spanner that adjusts the chain slack right ??

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
772 Posts
Hi everyone.

Recently got a 2019 model.
I found the chart with all the advised values for the suspension settings.
i have them pretty much dialled down for my weight. BUT the rear preload is being a pain in the BUTT.
I've used all my strength but can't move the bloody thing. I've used so much force that there are tiny bumps where the spanner sits.
is there something that i'm missing ? maybe a lock of some sort ? the manual doesn't mention anything though.
How did you guys adjust your rear preload ?
do i need any special tool, it's the same spanner that adjusts the chain slack right ??

Any help is appreciated.
I just used a OEM Honda c-spanner on my 2019. Easy peasy. Are you the original owner?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just used a OEM Honda c-spanner on my 2019. Easy peasy. Are you the original owner?
easy peasy is what i expected, it's proving to be anything but.
No, i'm the 2nd owner of the bike. Previous owner gave me the tool pouch with a couple of wrenches, a tiny metal thingy to adjust the front rebound, and a c-spanner (that i already used to adjust the chain slack).

i'm thinking of putting some wd40 on the "preload spring tooth", do you think that's safe ?

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
772 Posts
i'm thinking of putting some wd40 on the "preload spring tooth", do you think that's safe ?
WD40 is fine but shouldn't be necessary. What numbered preload notch is the shock currently set?

Does the c-spanner have the extension handle that slides over the end?

·
Registered
100 Posts

Macronistan's mechanical lore, rhymes in our language:.
If it doesn't move and should; use WD40.
If it moves and shouldn't; duck tape.
Road grime and/or high pressure wash will weld the preload ring to the body of the shock.
Go for a bath of WD40

Heck we use WD40 for hip, knee or back surgery here.
A squirt on the cartilages and you're good to go.

Needs a few hours rest after treatment, mind.

The hook spanner for the hub is not the best for the job.
The crenelated ring of the wheel hub has a bigger diameter than the shock ring.

No need to mark the ring, use the right tool:

Office ruler Electric blue Ruler Magenta Wood

·
Registered
13 Posts
easy peasy is what i expected, it's proving to be anything but.
No, i'm the 2nd owner of the bike. Previous owner gave me the tool pouch with a couple of wrenches, a tiny metal thingy to adjust the front rebound, and a c-spanner (that i already used to adjust the chain slack).

That’s exactly what I was going to suggest. It won’t hurt a thing. Wipe/blow off any excess after you‘re done adjusting it.

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,721 Posts
agreed to all above. it should move with maybe 20 lbs of force.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts