Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,
Anyone have a view or an opinion on the effect of a rad guard on cooling? Some of the guards seem to block a good percentage of the radiator and does this affect cooling, particularly in higher temperatures? Also, are mesh type guards more efficient?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
In ten years on the forum I have never seen a post by anyone saying their rad guard had made their engine overheat.

As for a guards efficiency I guess that depends on the size of the holes and what they might let through.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not so much overheat but run hotter than normal, noticeably so in very warm weather. It could be a consideration between protecting the radiator and accepting higher engine temps perhaps?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Evotech guard looks efficient but ive been unable to locate a similar guard for the earlier CB, without making permanent alterations to the bike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a guard on mine like the one in the NC700 pic. Its been on pretty much since I got it in 2012 and I really cant remember if it runs hotter. Its run fine all the time in any weather even in this hot spell or when I've been to Europe on it. Its worth it to stop stones getting in there. Mines a Beowulf one

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A guard is definitely worth the peace of mind for me regarding possible damage. However, i’ve been more aware in the recent very warm weather how the engine temp soon climbs and it got me thinking more about how a guard might be affecting the cooling.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
What does the engine temp climb to? >110C?
I've seen 238f on my old CB1000R, and I had no aftermarket guard, just the factory plastic one.

I've never cared to look on the NSC,though I do have the EvoTech guard. It hasn't been that warm here (relatively) this year. No 110f yet, so who cares? LOL

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
yeah, that's not too bad..

on 40-45deg days in traffic, it will do that regardless of radiator guard.
but if it does it cruising at 100km/hr... not ideal

i think modern cooling systems are so good that they either just work, or something wrong and they go pop :D
plus it's a lot about keeping your oil from burning, so if oil is good.. radiator is doing it's job...
It's not so much the oil Burning but breaking down under excessive heat.

Fully synthetic oil is good for 140 degrees at least before failure. However it's better to use 10/50 rather than 10/40 as a slightly larger range I guess.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
yes, that.

as for oil.. if the cooling is marginal, and you regularly ride on 40-45deg days.. then 10W-50 may be worthwhile... (why not synthetic 5W-50?? :) )
If the weather is cold enough to merit 5W then I will be in my car with the heating full on.---Bike nicely tucked away in a warm dry garage.--:yay

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just out of interest, as I have never seen the worth of fitting a rad guard, how many people have had a radiator failure due to debris thrown up by the front wheel?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Just out of interest, as I have never seen the worth of fitting a rad guard, how many people have had a radiator failure due to debris thrown up by the front wheel?
Never. I've been riding water cooled bikes since I bought a CX500 around 1987.

However. Modern bikes like the CB1000R have much shorter front mudguards, so I think the potential for such damage is greater today than it was in the olden days.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Never. I've been riding water cooled bikes since I bought a CX500 around 1987.

However. Modern bikes like the CB1000R have much shorter front mudguards, so I think the potential for such damage is greater today than it was in the olden days.
Agreed. The potential is greater.--:D

However, as I said in a previous post. I've been on the forum for 10 years and never read a post about radiator stone damage.

Probably about the same odds as being run over by a bus.---------------------------Ooooops

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I've definitely hear of holed radiators, though.

When I saw how filthy my radiator on the NSC was after a short ride in rain, i had to buy the EvoTech guard. I'm tempted to buy a fender extender too.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve worked at a very large dealership in holland and radiator damaga because of puncture happens quite often as i seen it on many types of bikebrands regardless of the type of bike. I guess it depends largely on how busy the roads are in your country and what type of roads you have. More traffic means more stuff on the road which can puncture the radiator. I myself had it on my previous gsxr. A piece of rimbalancer lead from a truck punctured it...just placed an evotech rad guard on my fresh CB1R, not noticed any temp changes, and its been quite hot lately.no issues at all. And i think it looks fresh on the bike. Really happy with it. 6F5B8BBA-E049-4909-BD20-BE02BED26BCF.jpeg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts