Honda CB1000R Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
05 919; 14 CB1000R; 18 CB1000R
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Funny, last night I was thinking, hey someone with the service manual could probably look at the schematic :D

So then it is a smart switch. That's too bad as I would assume, if it's a smart switch it would be the thing telling the ECU up/down, though I guess it's possible that intelligence lies elsewhere, but anywhere but the switch seems complicated.
So I've done a little reading on quickshifters since I'm completely new to them. Pretty much all of them inform the ECU the rider wants to shift and the ECU makes the magic happen since it's already controlling the engine. The difference is method of downshifting used. Autoblippers of course have the ecu blip the throttle to make a smooth downshift. The problem with those is a failure could potentially lock your throttle wide open. The other method being used is to alter spark plug timing/ignition to advance the engine to make the downshift happen. Which looks to be more successful for the ECU to manage than throttle blip.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Looks like the oem QSs are pretty solid. The aftermarket ones are the ones that fail at times.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The only thing I've heard people say truly negative about the CB1000R OEM QS is that it finds a false neutral between 5th and 6th.
So far, I haven't had that issue. It just hasn't skipped real neutral on me a few times.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So far I've found the QS only likes to find real neutral at or below 2k RPM trying to shift from 1st to 2nd. I was a little too excited to finally get through all the gate traffic going to work.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
406 Posts
So far I've found the QS only likes to find real neutral at or below 2k RPM trying to shift from 1st to 2nd.
So my 2017 S1 (not GP shift) takes very little effort shifting 2 through 6 and shifts easier than the NSC. If I haven't been in 1st for an extended period of time, the first time leaving from a stop I'll hit neutral instead of 2nd only because I've not used enough effort.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Really?! I feel like the NSC QS shifts like butter even from 1st (as long as I'm higher up in the revs). And you say your S1 shifts even easier. Why have I waited so long to have one of these? Hahaha.
I do agree, it is a little more effort required from 1st to 2nd.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
406 Posts
And you say your S1 shifts even easier.
Yeah, like the difference between a Cadillac and a Rolls. I don't know if it's because the S1 has a factory shifter, or maybe since the bike is so much more expensive the components are better, but the 2017 S1 definitely takes less effort and is usually seamless. The way I can tell I've upshifted is when the exhaust "barks". The acceleration is linear. I've got the shifter set to medium by the way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That sounds amazing. I definitely need to broaden my "bikes I've ridden" repertoire.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts