Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
05 919; 14 CB1000R; 18 CB1000R
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been running Moto GP shift setup for a long time. I was really upset that I couldn't run this setup on my 14 CB1R without buying aftermarket rearsets, otherwise the clutch slave cylinder is in the way. On my 919 all I had to do was rotate the upper shift arm 180º. Is it possible to run this setup on the NSC with the quickshifter? I've been trying to find info about it, but google search is providing anything fruitful. So I figured I would ask here.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet. I bought the bike used and the QS was already installed. So unfortunately I don't have the stock shift rod.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
404 Posts
It looks like the switch will clear, just not sure if the lower part of the rod will. If it does clear, the ECU will have to be flashed if you keep the OEM shift lever.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm messing around with the fit myself. I was just wondering if the QS is I guess compatible with the setup. I am brand new to using one so I have been reading up on them a bit. Just can't find anything specific about programming per say. Will it just shift the direction I'm telling it too, or will it be trying to shift in the wrong direction?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Yeah, I'm messing around with the fit myself. I was just wondering if the QS is I guess compatible with the setup. I am brand new to using one so I have been reading up on them a bit. Just can't find anything specific about programming per say. Will it just shift the direction I'm telling it too, or will it be trying to shift in the wrong direction?
You should be able to just flip the shifter connection 180 degrees. I don't see anything in the way. No need for any special setup on the QS.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
404 Posts
If you use an aftermarket lever with the rod forward of the shifter pivot point, you won't have to flash the ECU

·
Registered
596 Posts
So I've been running Moto GP shift setup for a long time. I was really upset that I couldn't run this setup on my 14 CB1R without buying aftermarket rearsets, otherwise the clutch slave cylinder is in the way. On my 919 all I had to do was rotate the upper shift arm 180º. Is it possible to run this setup on the NSC with the quickshifter? I've been trying to find info about it, but google search is providing anything fruitful. So I figured I would ask here.
Sorry what is this i have the plus model with q/shift what is a gp shift.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry what is this i have the plus model with q/shift what is a gp shift.
It's describing which way you hit the shifter to change gears.

Normal shift is 1st gear DOWN, N, 2nd-6th UP. Visually:
N

GP Shift is inverse with 1st UP, N, 2nd-6th DOWN:
N

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should be able to just flip the shifter connection 180 degrees. I don't see anything in the way. No need for any special setup on the QS.

View attachment 49104
If you use an aftermarket lever with the rod forward of the shifter pivot point, you won't have to flash the ECU
Will have to flash the ECU because he'll be pulling on the QS switch on upshifts instead of compressing it.
No flash required if you use a shift lever like this
View attachment 49105
BigOne, that's normally what I do when I have a normal shift rod. Plenty of space on the NSC for that too.
Bevo, that's the info I've been trying to find. Thank you.

I already have the Woolich kit for my NSC. I'll have to look through the options on it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow, interesting topic guys. (y)

Reminds me of my Honda 550Four back in '81. Made my own rear sets. Simply flipped the shifter backwards and rode. Didn't take too long to get used to the pattern.

Not easy to see; but, the reversed black shift lever is there. Raced at Phoenix Int'l Raceway a few times.
1976_CB550Four(1).jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
My question is will the QS switch work properly. I am assuming there are a pair of switches in there, one for up and one for down and if you just flip the connector will it then try to "blip" the engine on up shifting? If so, I would think one could rewire the connector to flip the switches rather than having to reflash. Maybe?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Definitely going to have to take a look at the wiring schematic for that possibility.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My question is will the QS switch work properly. I am assuming there are a pair of switches in there, one for up and one for down and if you just flip the connector will it then try to "blip" the engine on up shifting? If so, I would think one could rewire the connector to flip the switches rather than having to reflash. Maybe?
If I'm reading the schematic right, that option won't work. It's a 3 pin connector. Red pin for power, white for ECM communication, and green/black for essential component ground from the looks of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If I'm reading the schematic right, that option won't work. It's a 3 pin connector. Red pin for power, white for ECM communication, and green/black for essential component ground from the looks of it.
Funny, last night I was thinking, hey someone with the service manual could probably look at the schematic :D

So then it is a smart switch. That's too bad as I would assume, if it's a smart switch it would be the thing telling the ECU up/down, though I guess it's possible that intelligence lies elsewhere, but anywhere but the switch seems complicated.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts