Honda CB1000R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

Registered
2019 CB1000R
How long have you kids been riding again?
Can I be a kid? 馃槃

No one said downshifting without a QS is hard. Start at 60mph in 6th and stomp that shifter as fast as you possibly can without touching the clutch all the way to 1st. Let us know the results. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Hell, I can hit 90 in 1st on my S1 and Honda put a QS on it when they built the bike in Japan. No one needs a liter bike either. GROMs are popular AF, so let's all ride them. (y)

In your OP you asked what the advantages are and you were answered. FYI, folks track naked bikes all the time, including the CB1000R
How鈥檚 the cb perform on the track?

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Hell, I can hit 90 in 1st on my S1 and Honda put a QS on it when they built the bike in Japan. No one needs a liter bike either. GROMs are popular AF, so let's all ride them. (y)

In your OP you asked what the advantages are and you were answered. FYI, folks track naked bikes all the time, including the CB1000R

Registered
2019 CB1000R
Fancy AF. No HESD or steering damper of any kind so you've got to be light with the bar inputs.

The 2021 comes standard with the OEM QS and three settings like its big bro SC77 S1

Registered
I went to Laguna Seca in 2019 with both CBR1000RR and CB1000R, so I was able to directly compare. It was surprisingly hard switching between the bikes, even though I ride them both regularly on the street. I elected to ride CB in the morning, and CBR1000RR in the afternoon. I was there 2 days. It was 'cold', never getting warmer than about 70f, so maximum performance wasn't really on the cards.

I have the suspension upgraded on both, and had it tuned for me at the track on the day by Dave Moss.

Obviously the CBR has a lot more top end, so was outright faster than the CB, but my lap times were only 2 or 3 seconds different. If I remember right, something like 1:50 plus or minus a bit.

The CB was a bit scary since it has ABS and I didn't pull the fuse. Even at lowest setting it kicks in when it really isn't needed (this is the only bike I've had in 35++ years of riding that has ABS. I'm used to no electronics). So I had to brake a little early and a little softer than I'd like.

Note I had a 2014 CB1000R that I tracked many times. No ABS on this and I was able to brake later with no drama, so this isn't juat a difference between CBR and CB.

The QS is fun to use for downshifting because it saves the need for clutch/rev matching, but since it's tuned for street, not track, it's not noticeably more effective than just doing it the old fashioned way. In fact it doesn't feel like I can (say) drop 3 gears as quickly as doing it manually. I don't have telemetry to prove that impression :) the main advantage seems to be a little less physical and mental fatigue due to one less thing to think about.

I'd like to try the same track with both bikes today, knowing that I'm a little more confident on track now. And of course it would be my 3rd trip to Laguna Seca, not my 2nd ... so more experience under my ass.

Registered
2019 CB1000R
The CB was a bit scary since it has ABS and I didn't pull the fuse. Even at lowest setting it kicks in when it really isn't needed (this is the only bike I've had in 35++ years of riding that has ABS.
What setting are you referring to?

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
What setting are you referring to?
I went to Laguna Seca in 2019 with both CBR1000RR and CB1000R, so I was able to directly compare. It was surprisingly hard switching between the bikes, even though I ride them both regularly on the street. I elected to ride CB in the morning, and CBR1000RR in the afternoon. I was there 2 days. It was 'cold', never getting warmer than about 70f, so maximum performance wasn't really on the cards.

I have the suspension upgraded on both, and had it tuned for me at the track on the day by Dave Moss.

Obviously the CBR has a lot more top end, so was outright faster than the CB, but my lap times were only 2 or 3 seconds different. If I remember right, something like 1:50 plus or minus a bit.

The CB was a bit scary since it has ABS and I didn't pull the fuse. Even at lowest setting it kicks in when it really isn't needed (this is the only bike I've had in 35++ years of riding that has ABS. I'm used to no electronics). So I had to brake a little early and a little softer than I'd like.

Note I had a 2014 CB1000R that I tracked many times. No ABS on this and I was able to brake later with no drama, so this isn't juat a difference between CBR and CB.

The QS is fun to use for downshifting because it saves the need for clutch/rev matching, but since it's tuned for street, not track, it's not noticeably more effective than just doing it the old fashioned way. In fact it doesn't feel like I can (say) drop 3 gears as quickly as doing it manually. I don't have telemetry to prove that impression :) the main advantage seems to be a little less physical and mental fatigue due to one less thing to think about.

I'd like to try the same track with both bikes today, knowing that I'm a little more confident on track now. And of course it would be my 3rd trip to Laguna Seca, not my 2nd ... so more experience under my ass.
Thanks for sharing. That鈥檚 really interesting. Are you by chance referring to the traction control and abs in the same breath?

Registered
2019 CB1000R
Josh Herrin is building a R3 race bike. At 11:30 he discusses why he's adding a QS and why having one is important on the track.

Registered
Thanks for sharing. That鈥檚 really interesting. Are you by chance referring to the traction control and abs in the same breath?
No. Not at all. I turned off the CB's traction control on the track. Don't need it. I've never had traction control. The only time I make the rear step out is when the rear tyre is done.

Registered
1. Not something i do unless I'm on the track
2. Like downshifting without the shifter is hard? How long have you kids been riding again?

I'm bored with this useless willy-waving.
calling me a kid is the best compliment :D

i do enjoy rev matching the traditional way but the auto blipper is addictive. and sometimes with a bang 馃挘
nobody really needs a quickshifter but i'll never own a bike without one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
No. Not at all. I turned off the CB's traction control on the track. Don't need it. I've never had traction control. The only time I make the rear step out is when the rear tyre is done.
Ah ok. I鈥檓 just confused then bc it seems your talking about the 鈥渁bs on the lowest setting鈥 but there aren鈥檛 any abs settings on this bike. So I鈥檓 not sure what that means. Can you explain?

Registered
2019 CB1000R
The CB was a bit scary since it has ABS and I didn't pull the fuse. Even at lowest setting it kicks in when it really isn't needed (this is the only bike I've had in 35++ years of riding that has ABS. I'm used to no electronics).
Again, what setting are you referring to?

Registered
Ah ok. I鈥檓 just confused then bc it seems your talking about the 鈥渁bs on the lowest setting鈥 but there aren鈥檛 any abs settings on this bike. So I鈥檓 not sure what that means. Can you explain?
You can turn off ABS by pulling the fuse.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
Just installed the quick shifter and took it for a spin. It was fun, just kinda made the experience a bit more mindless. I can鈥檛 say it felt much faster than clutchless up shifting, but it was nice to not have to worry about anything other than the shifter.
Downshifting and the auto blipper were a bit herkey Jerkey. It was much smother for me to rev match and blip manually.

Registered
Basically downshifting needs a closed throttle.

I don't think I'd pay for a QS as an add-on again. Maybe in the future all bikes will have them from factory.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts