Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the advantage with the quick shifter here? I find the cb to be so easy to do clutchless shifting up and down, why would we need a quick shifter? Am I missing something? Anyone try both?

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
404 Posts
why would we need a quick shifter? Am I missing something? Anyone try both?
No one needs a quickshifter. It's a want, a luxury. Since my CBR1000S1 has an OEM QS, I decided to add the Honda QS to my NSC. I've owned many bikes and those two are the only ones that have a QS. I've always done clutchless upshifts from 2nd - 6th on other bikes and they were smooth as silk, however all cabled throttles. I found the NSC difficult to be smooth on ALL upshifts.

Auto-blip on downshifts with the QS is sweet.

Note: I had several false neutrals shifting to 6th on the NSC prior to adding the QS. Never in my life did I have that issue with any other bike.

·
Registered
179 Posts
it's the down shifts with quickshifter that's addictive.
you need to try it to believe in it.
i ordered one before receiving the bike.
but you don't need it.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
What’s the advantage with the quick shifter here? I find the cb to be so easy to do clutchless shifting up and down, why would we need a quick shifter? Am I missing something? Anyone try both?
Yes I tried both.

I agree with you: the standard box is easy to shift up and down clutchless.

With the QS, shifting is slower than you can do yourself. If you can already master the gearbox, you won't really get much out of having the QS.

Note that once the QS is installed, you can still change with or without the clutch, just like normal, in addition to using QS.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
404 Posts
With the QS, shifting is slower than you can do yourself. If you can already master the gearbox, you won't really get much out of having the QS.
You use standard shift and I'll use a QS. I bet I'll make it to the end of a quarter mile before you, and on a circuit I'll bet the QS will allow me to brake later into the turns.

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,020 Posts
You use standard shift and I'll use a QS. I bet I'll make it to the end of a quarter mile before you, and on a circuit I'll bet the QS will allow me to brake later into the turns.
Too many unknown factors in an exercise like this for the results to have any true meaning.

My Fireblade will definitely beat you.--:alien:(y)

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
404 Posts
Too many unknown factors in an exercise like this for the results to have any true meaning.

My Fireblade will definitely beat you.--:alien:(y)
Really? I have a 2017 CBR1000S1 that's had an ECU flash.

There's no doubt that a bike with the QS turned on will make quicker lap times than when it's turned off. Ask any experienced racer to throw theirs away and go race. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
404 Posts
Yes I tried both.
Shoot a video of you upshifting from 1-6 with the throttle absolutely fully pinned the entire time without a QS. Then, starting at 120mph in 6th, bang down through the gears to 20mph in the shortest distance possible without a QS or a clutch lever.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've got a quick shifter on the MV Brutale 800 rr I've just bought, still got the CB though. I do like it on down shifts. It's a bit better then clutchless shifts on the way up, but I still find myself rolling the throttle though probably more out of habit then anything. As for what's quicker I've not really thought about it or that bothered really. At least they haven't made launch control yet like on mates zx10r that is pointless on a road bike

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
404 Posts
I still find myself rolling the throttle though probably more out of habit then anything.
It works best to either open the throttle at a position that gives you the desired acceleration rate and hold it there, or to keep it pinned wide open. Changing throttle position during shifts is counter productive and not always smooth.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
404 Posts
Apparently you don't know how the QS works.
I know that the lever places the bike in gear whether the bike is on or off or whether the QS is turned on or off. My left foot lifts the lever at the same rate no matter if it's a QS or non-QS. Try upshifting your bike through all the gears with the throttle locked wide open. Don't unload the transmission to upshift. Report back on how that worked out for you.

Also, starting at 60mph in 6th stomp on the the shifter as fast as you can repeatedly to go from 6th to 1st in less than three seconds. With the QS it's easy peasy.

You realize a QS is not a required component for racing. If a QS didn't help shave time off of lap times, no one would use them.

You're welcome

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
actually you do.
1. you can up-shift with WOT
2. have a perfect down-shift every time
I’m not 100% sure wot makes a difference since the ecu and quick shifter is basically doing what you would when you roll off the throttle to slot the gear I n clutchless. Think about it. You’re at 10k in second gear, and you roll off to 7k to get into third. Same thing the qs does. So maybe you save half a calorie in wrist action and remove some technique from the experience.

Unless I’m doing racing or a track day it doesn’t seem worth it or even helpful. And on a naked bike neither of those things seem too appealing since at 100mph you’re gonna get blown of the butt end of the bike without a windshield if you hang out there for too long.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
404 Posts
And on a naked bike neither of those things seem too appealing since at 100mph you’re gonna get blown of the butt end of the bike without a windshield if you hang out there for too long.

It's quite useful when you're at a dead stop and want to accelerate into traffic that's already at 55+ mph so that you can cut across several lanes and hit that ramp onto the freeway. :devilish:

And yes, I've done it 100s of times on a variety of bikes without a QS.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not to be obtuse but I can get to nearly 60mph in first gear, second at the most. So again, not seeing the value of the qs. But hey man, you do you. Whatever brings you joy go for it

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
404 Posts
Not to be obtuse but I can get to nearly 60mph in first gear, second at the most. So again, not seeing the value of the qs. But hey man, you do you. Whatever brings you joy go for it
Hell, I can hit 90 in 1st on my S1 and Honda put a QS on it when they built the bike in Japan. No one needs a liter bike either. GROMs are popular AF, so let's all ride them. (y)

In your OP you asked what the advantages are and you were answered. FYI, folks track naked bikes all the time, including the CB1000R

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
actually you do.
1. you can up-shift with WOT
2. have a perfect down-shift every time
1. Not something i do unless I'm on the track
2. Like downshifting without the shifter is hard? How long have you kids been riding again?

I'm bored with this useless willy-waving.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts