Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a few false neutral and sometimes it kicks and clacks.
So I was wondering if in the long run the transmission could be damaged?

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
698 Posts
If it's functioning properly, no. A QS was standard on my SC77 S1 that I took delivery of in April 2017. So happy with it I had one installed on my 2019 NSC as well.

Between what gears are you getting a false neutral? Also, the QS seems to prefer higher RPM with both up and down shifts.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
It is possible to fuck up your gear changes with the QS. There are definitely right and wrong things to do. So you could fuck up your gearbox if you don't learn the simple things necessary to change gear correctly with the QS

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,052 Posts
It is possible to fuck up your gear changes with the QS. There are definitely right and wrong things to do. So you could fuck up your gearbox if you don't learn the simple things necessary to change gear correctly with the QS
True.---In ten years of ownership and practice I could change gear just as fast as if I had a quick shift.-- ;) --Timing is EVERYTHING.--Quick shift or not your foot still moves the gear lever at the SAME speed. You might save a 1,000th of a second and go the extra yard down the road in the same time --Who gives a ****---Don't be lazy; learn a skill.----:cool:

Reactions: WireMan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's functioning properly, no. A QS was standard on my SC77 S1 that I took delivery of in April 2017. So happy with it I had one installed on my 2019 NSC as well.

Between what gears are you getting a false neutral? Also, the QS seems to prefer higher RPM with both up and down shifts.
It happened once between first and second gear.
But all the other times it's from the fifth to the sixth.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Can you please tell me the things to do with the quick shifter as well as the things not to do.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The quick version:

• When shifting down with QS, have the throttle fully closed.
  • If your revs are below about 2k, if you are not actively slowing (not using the brakes) use the clutch as you would like normal, else QS is likely to be clunky.
  • Don't hold the throttle open for downshifts. Clunkitty clunk. If you want to downshift to a lower gear for hard acceleration, use your clutch and blip manually. This QS isn't smart enough to do that kind of downshift.
  • When changing up, best to be actively accelerating, else use the clutch to avoid clunky gear changes.
  • To reiterate ‐ don't use the QS if you are on a neutral/maintenance throttle, whether shifting up or down. Especially not down.
  • If you already mastered upshifts without clutch you can use the exact same method, even with QS installed.
  • You can upshift using the clutch same as without QS.
  • Same on downshift: if you already mastered clutchless downshifts you can still use exact same method.
  • And you can use clutch and blipping same as normal on downshifts.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
698 Posts
True.---In ten years of ownership and practice I could change gear just as fast as if I had a quick shift.-- ;) --Timing is EVERYTHING.--Quick shift or not your foot still moves the gear lever at the SAME speed. You might save a 1,000th of a second and go the extra yard down the road in the same time --Who gives a ****---Don't be lazy; learn a skill.----
Clutchless upshifting is one thing. Banging down through the gears from 6th to 1st while late braking quite another.

A rider that's proficient shifting clutchless will still have quicker lap times with a QS, period.

I've owned quite a few bikes, only two have had a QS. I mastered cluchless shifting long ago. QS cuts engine output and blips throttle faster than humanly possible.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
698 Posts
Can you please tell me the things to do with the quick shifter as well as the things not to do.
Thank you
Simple version:
Close the throttle completely just before downshifts.
Upshift while accelerating and keep the throttle in a fixed position. Ex: 1/2 open through the gears, 3/4 open through the gears, or fully open through the gears. Make sure your shift lever action is forceful and deliberate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a few false neutral and sometimes it kicks and clacks.
Thought the same, so much so that I asked at the first service and was told categorically that it can't damage the transmission. I am concerned about mine as I get false neutrals between 5th and 6th. Does anybody know if it's possible to calibrate it?

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
698 Posts
Does anybody know if it's possible to calibrate it?
So I was getting false neutrals between 5th and 6th on clutchless upshifts BEFORE I had the QS installed on my 2019. I never had that issue with ANY of the many Hondas I've owned.

I don't think it's a QS issue that's causing your false neutrals as all the QS does on upshifts is cut engine output. It may be an issue with not being forceful enough on the shifter or a transmission problem. Turn the QS off and see if you can make smooth clutchless upshifts by manually closing the throttle slightly a split second prior to shifting.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In my experience, it isn't really the speed of shifting that makes the QS better. I am not racing and for up-shifting, I can get through the gears quickly enough with or without the QS. Where I find it really shines is in the down shifting. No matter how quickly I try to get the down shift to happen, the simple act of pulling in the clutch immediately releases tension on the chain, which is then going to bang back to tight when the clutch is released. Using the QS the drive train never fully releases the load from the wheel, and the result is a super smooth application of engine braking. I really love that part of it.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
No matter how quickly I try to get the down shift to happen, the simple act of pulling in the clutch immediately releases tension on the chain, which is then going to bang back to tight when the clutch is released.
That's why we blip the throttle on downshifts. Done right, there is no banging. The QS is doing the same.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
698 Posts
Faster by the tiniest fraction that makes zero difference on the street.

As for your inability to change gear consistently without the QS, I am sorry for you and your bikes.
No one needs a QS for the street. It's a luxury. In your head it's the tiniest of fractions. Get on the track and measure it. Let us know your results.
:LOL: My 2014 CB had no electronics, no QS, and no slipper clutch, yet I could transition seamlessly between it and my SC77 SP which has all of the above. I love riding "old school" bikes, blipping throttles and getting occasional brief wheel lock under late braking.

FYI, even MM93 and VR46 aren't 100% consistent and they're not in this forum so my comments weren't directed at them. ;)

Tire Motorcycle helmet Wheel Automotive tire Motorcycle

·
Registered
56 Posts
No one needs a QS for the street. It's a luxury...
Had a 750 Hondamatic back in the days, a Guzzi Convert also.

Closer
rode a 12 VFR DCT for a year, around 36 000 km,
and every day I wriggled my left toe trying to move a non existent gear lever.
On the next bike, roots Trompf Speed triple I kept accelerating in neutral for a while trying to leave a stop sign
hoping for a gear to engage at higher revs.

For the best of this decade I've had QS.
Excellent QS

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

Not the medieval, bean can sized, klunk on protohistoric software of the CB1000R.

Hard to go back to Pleistocene.
Rode vintage race glory, on track, no FI no ABS, geriatric tool,
promptly ran myself in the gravel.
Did better with even older stock, timing lever at right hand...

For my daily ride
I like luxury.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts