Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Hope someone can help or assist or point me to a solution. Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my chain is very loose and thought it is just stretched. But I have now noticed that it is the wheel/hub that keeps moving forward. So I have checked my flange/Pinch bolt and the torque is at 74nM.

So I loosen the bolt again, adjusted the chain and then tightened again, this time just passed 74nM. It is now almost two weeks but noticed this morning it has started again. If I look at the chain tensioner indicator, I can see it moved and is not on the same mark anymore.

Previously I also tried to remove the bolt but it seems as if it only loosen a turn or 2 and then get stuck, but looking at the diagrams it seems the bolt is suppose to completely come out? Should I just keep turning until it is out? Just scared I will damage the swing arm.

Not sure what to do or how to get this resolved? I also can't tighten it too much as it might strip?

Thanks.

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,020 Posts
If you wait you will probably get an answer on here, however it might be quicker to phone a Honda dealer to try and get the info you want from one of their mechanics. They must have adjusted the chains on many customers bikes.--;)

·
Administrator
4,050 Posts
Hi - firstly the bolt only needs slackening to allow adjustment - no need to take it out

Second, a common issue with Honda hubs occurs if someone lubes the part of the swing arm that grips the hub.

If someone has done this, even with WD40 it can cause hub slip even when torqued.

It may be a case of removing the hub and cleaning this surface which will require a manual and maybe some special tools.

A quick solution to try is to try and flush the loosed hub (loose pinch bolt) with brake cleaner - rotate the hub using the special c spanner as you do this - this might help remove anything that might be causing an issue.

Otherwise it may mean removing the hub although it’s probably easier than I’ve suggested !

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi All,

Hope someone can help or assist or point me to a solution. Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my chain is very loose and thought it is just stretched. But I have now noticed that it is the wheel/hub that keeps moving forward. So I have checked my flange/Pinch bolt and the torque is at 74nM.

So I loosen the bolt again, adjusted the chain and then tightened again, this time just passed 74nM. It is now almost two weeks but noticed this morning it has started again. If I look at the chain tensioner indicator, I can see it moved and is not on the same mark anymore.

Previously I also tried to remove the bolt but it seems as if it only loosen a turn or 2 and then get stuck, but looking at the diagrams it seems the bolt is suppose to completely come out? Should I just keep turning until it is out? Just scared I will damage the swing arm.

Not sure what to do or how to get this resolved? I also can't tighten it too much as it might strip?

Thanks.
Mine got loose on new bike got it fixed happened again got it fixed and happened again honda says it happens if your sporty rider.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
404 Posts
Mine got loose on new bike got it fixed happened again got it fixed and happened again honda says it happens if your sporty rider.
The chain stretched or the pinch bolts loosened up allowing the swingarm cam to rotate?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't know which but my chain been loose 3 times with only 600 miles on the clock. I just tried my new torque at 27nm on the bolt and just rounded one. Tried other at 26nm and worked. Wish it wasn't such a tight spot stupid design.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
404 Posts
Don't know which but my chain been loose 3 times
There's an indicator on the right side of the swingarm with a label that's marked for new chain, green, and red. The indicator is not supposed to move unless you adjust the cam. 27nm is spec for the pinch bolts. You can't use a bit with a rounded head and you can't be off axis to the bolt head.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No i haven't had problem with the cam. I brought all the tools to do the chain first bolt I touched I've fucked it now I'll have to take it to honda again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts