101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
A few facts for the future. PER HONDA

Power management in gears 1-3 has been reduced per factory spec
Power management in gears 1-3 is further reduced under 3,000 rpm
Power management in Sport mode is not 100% available engine power

Any shop running this bike on a dyno in ANY of the rider modes will not be a true reflection of base ECM power. HSTC must be turned off for best available power. The bike must be stopped, you must be in user mode, you must press and hold the torque control switch. Only when the trac light shows on the dash with the line through it are you complete.

Note: Even with HSTC full disabled, the ECM will reduce power in gears 1-3 at certain RPMs. Only a true ECU flash will remove the factory power limits in gears 1-3.
Even though the owners manual says to stop the bike, in user mode I can use the Torque switch to turn off torque control on the fly.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
A few facts for the future. PER HONDA

Power management in gears 1-3 has been reduced per factory spec
Power management in gears 1-3 is further reduced under 3,000 rpm
Power management in Sport mode is not 100% available engine power

Any shop running this bike on a dyno in ANY of the rider modes will not be a true reflection of base ECM power. HSTC must be turned off for best available power. The bike must be stopped, you must be in user mode, you must press and hold the torque control switch. Only when the trac light shows on the dash with the line through it are you complete.

Note: Even with HSTC full disabled, the ECM will reduce power in gears 1-3 at certain RPMs. Only a true ECU flash will remove the factory power limits in gears 1-3.
What you quoted doesn't make much sense. Is the following what we should understand?

1. Power in gears 1-3 has been reduced per factory spec
  2. Power in gears 1-3 is further reduced under 3,000 rpm
  3. Power in Sport mode is not 100% available engine power
Also, is this specific to the USA model? Power seems very muted below 5,000rpm, and so bullets 1 and 2 would make sense.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also, is this specific to the USA model? Power seems very muted below 5,000rpm, and so bullets 1 and 2 would make sense.
I know the throttle bodies on US spec SC77 models were only opening 73% at full throttle, so once Woolich Racing cracked the ECU I had mine flashed to UK spec. Totally different bike now. I have no idea if the same is true for the US spec SC80

·
Registered
5 Posts
What you quoted doesn't make much sense. Is the following what we should understand?

1. Power in gears 1-3 has been reduced per factory spec
  2. Power in gears 1-3 is further reduced under 3,000 rpm
  3. Power in Sport mode is not 100% available engine power
Hey BigOne, thanks. Yes that is correct. As for the US vs Euro models, I can't confirm but it seems a stretch that Honda would tailor power like that per region with being an emissions requirement, and doubly not to disclose they were doing so to the public.

As for lack of power down low, that is true. There really isn't much Honda can do to rework the power curve of the Early Fireblades to get a ton more low end power that wont affect the top end or emissions. In the end its a toss up, do you want to feel fast(torq) or do you want to be fast(hp)? :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
As for the US vs Euro models, I can't confirm but it seems a stretch that Honda would tailor power like that per region with being an emissions requirement, and doubly not to disclose they were doing so to the public.
On the US SC77 and SC82 models, Honda reduced power compared to Euro/UK spec bikes in order to meet EPA noise restrictions. They even rubber cemented these blockoff plates in the intake tubes of the US spec SC77.

plugs.jpg

They're not found in Euro/UK models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On the US SC77 and SC82 models, Honda reduced power compared to Euro/UK spec bikes in order to meet EPA noise restrictions. They even rubber cemented these blockoff plates in the intake tubes of the US spec SC77.

View attachment 48856

They're not found in Euro/UK models.
That's pretty interesting, I think there are a few bikes in Texas that could do with that. I swear I can hear some bikes in Austin from half way across the city. :)

Also saw your post on disabling torque control on the fly. That's pretty cool, I would go out to my bike and try it out, but my 2019 got stolen last week. Utterly depressed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's pretty cool, I would go out to my bike and try it out, but my 2019 got stolen last week. Utterly depressed.
Damn that sucks. FYI, Honda is offering a $2000 Factory-to-Dealer Incentive. Offer is valid with the purchase of new and unregistered 2019 CB1000R ABS models (CB1000RAK). Offer valid through 12/31/2020.

Obviously I don't know where your bike was stolen, but apartment complexes and parking garages are shopping malls for bike thieves.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
"As for lack of power down low, that is true. There really isn't much Honda can do to rework the power curve of the Early Fireblades to get a ton more low end power that wont affect the top end or emissions"

The engine in every other guise has a ton more low end power. This bike has been sorely hobbled in the 2018-on CB1000R.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts