Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this evening I changed the oil on my CB. and when I drained the old oil out of the catching pan back into the container, I noticed 'grit' in the bottom of the pan! now, that is NOT good! and all kinds of horrid thoughts ran thru my head as i pondered what to do.

eventually I 'mopped up' the grit, then rinsed it down with kerosene so I could examine it more closely. and this is what I saw:

most of the 'fines' disappeared during the rinse.

this is obviously NOT debris from any internal engine disintegration. in fact, it looks like sand and tiny stones. the explanation is obvious, but obscure.

when i removed the plastic oil filter cover, i had difficulty cuz it was sorta stuck to the filter. In fact, there were a couple big 'globs' of some hardened tar-like substance in the gap between the two. I had to chip away at one of these globs to get the filter wrench to couple to the filter... and that undoubtedly caused this embedded 'grit' to drop into the catching pan, eventually to scare the bejeezuz outa me. weirdly, I had somehow picked up a couple 'globs' of road tar, complete with embedded sandy debris, into the gap between the filter and the cover, somewhere in my travels!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or this was a subtle hint by the bike to stop confusing it for an Africa Twin and going offroading ! :D

😉 or a plea from the machine for me to stop using it as my winter hack too? all that grit and wetness penetrating everywhere! ( sorry; that's just of one of the reasons I own a Honda - uncomplaining service, no matter what! )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts