Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda CB1000R Black Edition
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick oil change before mothballing it for the winter...even though I wasn't quite at the 600 mile mark. Quick observations:

1. As one previous poster said, the oil filter wasn't put on by an Eastern lowland gorilla, however, it did require a bit of mechanical advantage and a couple precisely timed swear words to remove it. Luckily I had a wrench that could fit in. You need a thin wrench because the engine gets in the way as you twist the filter wrench.

2. I refilled it with three quarts of Honda Pro GN4 dino. I will use Motul 5100 on my next change. Obviously it's hard to tell by the naked eye, however, the oil still looked pretty darn good. It would be tempting to send it to an oil analysis company for a reading.

3. My manual says it requires 3.1 quarts after an oil and filter change. So I was a little surprised to see that 3 quarts appeared to have overfilled it by a little bit. I'm attaching a picture. I wonder if should suck a little bit out?

4. The factory filter and dealership filter looked identical other than some of the writing. I've attached a picture just for fun...dealership purchased filter on the left and factory production filter on the right.

5. I don't hate horizontally mounted filters, however, I prefer vertical mounts just because the former is a little bit messier. I don't have a stand yet so when the filter was removed... the oil wants to go to the port side of the motorcycle. You should place throw away shirts or rags over the headers during that portion of the operation. Once I get a rear stand, I don't think it will be an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'21 CB1000R
74 Posts
I patted the fender and said 'there there.... I'll see you in April of 2022'. I then put my big boy face on, and covered her up with my wife's homemade quilt.

It's a sad day.

You mentioned 600 miles, so i'm assuming this is the initial oil change. Did you happen to check some of the other stuff like exhaust header bolts, etc? If so, anything loose? I'm wondering if it would be wise to take it to a dealer for that first check-up or just do it myself. Just thought it might be good to have a record that they did in fact look it over, although I would much rather do it myself.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
916 Posts
I'm wondering if it would be wise to take it to a dealer for that first check-up or just do it myself.
First ask the dealer what the 600 mile service encompasses. Yeah, they're supposed to go over the bike and check torque spec in some areas, but I'm not certain they all do. They may tell you, "we just change the oil and filter."

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personal choice I guess. I had my local dealer do the first service on my Z900RS but that's only because I negotiated it. But I can't really verify that they did anything other than change the oil and filter.

For this one, I might just give it a good once over on the next nice day. I don't even have 600 mi on it yet. I will say this, I've owned many bikes over the years and I've never discovered a loose bolt from the factory.

I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
'21 CB1000R
74 Posts
First ask the dealer what the 600 mile service encompasses. Yeah, they're supposed to go over the bike and check torque spec in some areas, but I'm not certain they all do. They may tell you, "we just change the oil and filter."
That's the thing. It runs about $200-250 and you really don't know if they do any of that extra work or not. There's something to be said in doing it yourself. You KNOW it got changed or checked.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did a quick oil change before mothballing it for the winter...even though I wasn't quite at the 600 mile mark. Quick observations:

1. As one previous poster said, the oil filter wasn't put on by an Eastern lowland gorilla, however, it did require a bit of mechanical advantage and a couple precisely timed swear words to remove it. Luckily I had a wrench that could fit in. You need a thin wrench because the engine gets in the way as you twist the filter wrench.

2. I refilled it with three quarts of Honda Pro GN4 dino. I will use Motul 5100 on my next change. Obviously it's hard to tell by the naked eye, however, the oil still looked pretty darn good. It would be tempting to send it to an oil analysis company for a reading.

3. My manual says it requires 3.1 quarts after an oil and filter change. So I was a little surprised to see that 3 quarts appeared to have overfilled it by a little bit. I'm attaching a picture. I wonder if should suck a little bit out?

4. The factory filter and dealership filter looked identical other than some of the writing. I've attached a picture just for fun...dealership purchased filter on the left and factory production filter on the right.

5. I don't hate horizontally mounted filters, however, I prefer vertical mounts just because the former is a little bit messier. I don't have a stand yet so when the filter was removed... the oil wants to go to the port side of the motorcycle. You should place throw away shirts or rags over the headers during that portion of the operation. Once I get a rear stand, I don't think it will be an issue.

"My manual says it requires 3.1 quarts after an oil and filter change. So I was a little surprised to see that 3 quarts appeared to have overfilled it by a little bit. I'm attaching a picture. I wonder if should suck a little bit out?"

Guess you didn't read the fine print on the oil jug, but of course nobody does. It reads: WARNING! THIS PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN PETROLEUM DISTILLATES WHICH MAY BE HARMFUL OR CAUSE DEATH. Do not drink on an empty stomach! Always eat something first!

I'll remember your 5th point when I get set to do my 1st oil change. and stand the bike up vertical. The NSC will be the first bike in my garage in quite a while that does not have a centerstand. I also find that if I let the engine oil drain and wait for a while before taking the filter off, that the filter isn't quite as full and doesn't make such a mess.

Congrats on your new NSC! Even tho she will be tucked away, you'll be riding her in your dreams!

·
Registered
2021 CB1000R; 2018 CBR1000RR SP
205 Posts
I would rather change the oil + filter myself (less than $70) using top-drawer oil.
And, spend $50 buying the Service Manual and tighten all the bolts as specified in one of the chapters.
And, I can use the manual for all of my other work on the bike and know for sure that it is done right.

Reactions: 3rdBike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you run the engine for a few minutes and let it cool down a little before draining the oil?
Cold oil doesn't drain very well; so, you may have more left over's .
Yes.... For sure. I'm still slightly baffled but not worried.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
916 Posts
Yes.... For sure. I'm still slightly baffled but not worried.
So I rode my 2019 to the dealerership with 4 qt of my own oil for the 600 mile service. They took the bike immediately for service. I held one quart because in my experience only 3 is required to get the proper level (anywhere between the low and high marks). The tech used the 3 I had given them, and then said he needed the 4th quart. They returned the partially filled 4th quart. I checked the level when I got home and it looked just like yours, slightly past full.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe I didn't let mine heat up enough before draining? I definitely wouldn't need a 4th quart. I seem to remember 170ish on the gauge before draining.

I consider the investigation closed at this point! I just need to install the fancy oil filter cover since the are no confirmed leaks.

Maybe its psychological, but it sure shifts nicely after the first change.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts