Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first oil/filter change. Replaced new filter and 3.2 qt = 104.2 Fl.oz. of oil
like the manual says, but the oil level is below the upper mark on the sight glass. Is this normal or it needs to be on the upper mark?
I measured the oil that came out of the bike and is more than 3.2qt :notme

Attachments

·
Banned
6,335 Posts
As long as its between the two marks thats fine,i never fill them right to the top mark anyway just a tad below,"dont want to much oil mist slowing that crank down at full chat" :thumbup

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
That looks fine Ric :thumbup .If the bike is even slightly off straight and level it will show under the line. Also is this pic after you ran the bike up to temp after the oil and filter change?,because that will alter the level as well.You will need only a small amount of oil for it to show up to the line again anyway,its well within honda tolerences anyway :thumbup

·
Registered
571 Posts
Funny I took my bike in for warranty work new rear shock. They checked the oil and added over half a lt At the 8k service 3 k later it was over half lt down .when i pulled the service guy bearing in mind my gen 1 cb used no oil he said 1lt per 1.5k mls was within limits . strange what the general feeling I think it's way to much.Stay safe me old mukkas.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
Funny I took my bike in for warranty work new rear shock. They checked the oil and added over half a lt At the 8k service 3 k later it was over half lt down .when i pulled the service guy bearing in mind my gen 1 cb used no oil he said 1lt per 1.5k mls was within limits . strange what the general feeling I think it's way to much.Stay safe me old mukkas.
What year model?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Yes it's 'normal', but not for this engine.

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,010 Posts
2019 cb1000r
In the ten years I owned my CB 1,000 it never used any oil at all between oil changes.--Was exactly like that at 25,000 miles. Every time the oil change took just under three litres. Level, half way up the sight glass with the bike vertical.

Reactions: Bevo

·
Registered
571 Posts
In the ten years I owned my CB 1,000 it never used any oil at all between oil changes.--Was exactly like that at 25,000 miles. Every time the oil change took just under three litres. Level, half way up the sight glass with the bike vertical.
YUP ON MY 2012 EXTREME 24K ISH NEVER ADDED OIL .1IT PER 15000MLS SEEMS PRETTY BAD FROM HONDA.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
113,000 kms on my first CB1000R (2012); only ever had to top it up with maybe 100 ml or 200 ml after VERY hard running ( a weekend of hard 400 mile / 600 km days; track days). otherwise, nothing...

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The whole 1500 miles thing is absolute garbage. Honda used to say the same thing about their car engines. They have since changed it to 3000 miles since modern cars are going ~10k between changes. 1L every 1500 miles would mean it would be "normal" for an engine to run completely out of oil before the next oil change.

Losing 1L every 3k still means something is wrong. 1.5k is just plain silly.

Reactions: COLVERT

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Exactly! They are saying by 8k it's normal to have lost 5 quarts. One doesn't need to be a mechanic to know that's bullshit.

Reactions: Bevo

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
Exactly! They are saying by 8k it's normal to have lost 5 quarts. One doesn't need to be a mechanic to know that's bullshit.
Funny that claim about "normal" oil consumption is not published anywhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts