Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll start by saying I really like the look of these mirrors, think they tidy the bike up nicely.
BUT - I believe they could be better designed from an install and security point of view.
To install these you need to remove the inner bar weight, even then, the collet and 17mm expander only just sit in flush with bar. They need to be deeper in the bar, as I found, even when fully tightened using shifter on end of Allan key, they were still easy to rotate and remove by hand.
This could be addressed by the factory by making the inner collar of bar end that the collet slides then expands over an extra 10/15mm longer.
However, after several attempts and some major stupidity(born from frustration- see post- So, how dumb are you?) I succeeded in making then extremely tight and secure and eliminated the handlebar vibration👍👍(should’ve done this to start with and saved myself $250)
I hope this can help some others thinking of doing this install .
1- remove bar end and inner weight.
2- remove rubber grommet from thicker end of inner bar weight and using angle grinder cut cylindrical end from weight(see pics below)
3- make sure bolt can still go in, you may have to run a 6mm tap, then replace grommet
4- you will need a 70mm m6 hex bolt, I couldn’t find any with enough thread so had to run an 80mm bolt through 6mm die then cut to size(goldilocks bolt in picture)
5- thread lock on bolt and inner weight, then reassemble bar end with collet and spacer wound up till just starting to expand and fitting snug inside bar, then wind on inner weight, tighten, insert in bar and tighten in position.
Very secure with the added benefit of most of the inner bar weight intact. I have zero vibrations in bars or mirror.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the easiest way to remove the bar end inner weight? I'm struggling with that.....
On one side I just removed bar end weight and using the same bolt tightened it until the inner weight was spinning then just pulled it out using Allen key whilst turning.
Other side did the same but was harder to pull out so put shifting spanner on bolt and tapped out with hammer.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
24 Posts
I got pair of these for Christmas, but I'd already purchased a pair of $20 knock-offs that are holding up great and bite deeper into the handlebar. I may give this a shot without modifying the weights... maybe using a longer bolt and a rubber spacer between the weight and bar end.

What's the easiest way to remove the bar end inner weight? I'm struggling with that.....
The easiest way is to remove the bolt, remove the bar end, re-insert the bolt a few millimeters, gently clamp down on it with a vice grip or crescent wrench and then tap it outward with a hammer or mallet. This may destroy the tabs though, which OEM replacements are cheap.

The not-as-easy way is basically the same procedure, but first removing the grips and pressing in on the tabs with a small screwdriver as you remove the weights to ensure they don't snap off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got pair of these for Christmas, but I'd already purchased a pair of $20 knock-offs that are holding up great and bite deeper into the handlebar. I may give this a shot without modifying the weights... maybe using a longer bolt and a rubber spacer between the weight and bar end.

The easiest way is to remove the bolt, remove the bar end, re-insert the bolt a few millimeters, gently clamp down on it with a vice grip or crescent wrench and then tap it outward with a hammer or mallet. This may destroy the tabs though, which OEM replacements are cheap.

The not-as-easy way is basically the same procedure, but first removing the grips and pressing in on the tabs with a small screwdriver as you remove the weights to ensure they don't snap off.
After removing inner weight I originally tried to re-insert them deep enough into handlebar to install the Oberons but he larger end of weight does not fit into the narrowed part of the bar and the collet was about 5mm outside the end of the bars. By cutting the end of weight it allows proper fit of collet and allows all to be joined together as one unit. Much more secure.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
24 Posts
After removing inner weight I originally tried to re-insert them deep enough into handlebar to install the Oberons but he larger end of weight does not fit into the narrowed part of the bar and the collet was about 5mm outside the end of the bars. By cutting the end of weight it allows proper fit of collet and allows all to be joined together as one unit. Much more secure.
Ah, thanks for the info. I try my best to avoid "destroying" OEM equipment, but that's me... something more to think about I guess.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, thanks for the info. I try my best to avoid "destroying" OEM equipment, but that's me... something more to think about I guess.
No worries. I didn’t want to damage inner weights either which led me to try other unsuccessful and some stupid ways of eliminating vibration. Turned out costing me heaps more than some new inner weights would if I ever decide to go back to stock.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
24 Posts
They are nice looking mirrors, how about the visibility? I am really just looking for something that works 😜
The knockoffs I'm using allow me to see everything to my left, right, and behind. No complaints. They look just like the real thing, only difference being the insert that bites into the inside of the handlebars. I have a pair of the real thing, but the knockoffs are performing so well I haven't bothered to remove them. I'd be willing to argue that the visibility of the knockoffs replicates the visibility of the real thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are nice looking mirrors, how about the visibility? I am really just looking for something that works 😜
Much better visibility than the oem mirrors. If you don’t mind an extra couple of inches to the width of the bars there great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Silly77 so you have yours mounted in the "out" position, I saw on the Oberon site that you can mount them in a few different positions, one being like straight up. Did you mount them out and up for looks or functionality? @Comfortably Bummed would you mind sharing the the ones you have?
Both. I prefer the look as they are, and I think they stick out to far if you have them mounted in the end hole. If you have them mounted straight up(I didn’t try that) don’t think would leave much room for your hands. I’m a medium/large glove size and I just have clearance, any closer in and I would be hitting the mirrors.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
24 Posts
@Silly77 so you have yours mounted in the "out" position, I saw on the Oberon site that you can mount them in a few different positions, one being like straight up. Did you mount them out and up for looks or functionality? @Comfortably Bummed would you mind sharing the the ones you have?
I thought I'd grabbed them from eBay or Amazon... but after some digging it turns out they're from Dime City Cycles:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts