Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading MCN's review of the CB this morning. I have to say that I'm gutted!
I can't believe it came last against the KTM,Triumph and FZ1.
After all the reviews on the launch. I wasn't expecting such a slagging off! :angry
The main point of contention was the handling. "Tight twists gave the sensation the front end wanted to tuck in". I know the suspension is fully adjustable. So maybe not the end of the world.
The other issues they had, I can live with. :finger
What do you guy's think?

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
I haven't read the review but I am quite surprised... because we have read plenty of reviews that say the complete opposite.

Anyway it wouldn't be the first time that MCN have slated a perfectly good bike.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
I'm about to go downstairs and read it myself. As you say, it's adjustable which can fix a number of issues, but it can't fix everything (see 2007 Z1000 for example). Different people like different things too, personally I won't let one review put me off, but then I'm stubborn and I'm expecting mine delivered in a couple of weeks so I won't listen (puts fingers in ears) la la la la la

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. La La La la .............................
I'll just have to find some new (slower) friends to ride with! :taunt

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
On the plus side, it does have the quickest 0-60 time of all the bikes (3.05 secs was it?), though oddly, according to the print, the Speed Triple gets to 150 quicker than it gets to 100, very odd :rollin

Very disappointing review. Will anyone be letting this affect their purchase?

·
Registered
96 Posts
just read the review.. Just seemed very pro KTM and triumph and just bascially slagged the FZ and CB off about anything and everything.. Cant say that its put me off but some of the stuff that they were picking fault with seemed just.. well.. over the top.

Guess i'll have to wait to see one in the flesh before im totally sold, but this review hasnt put me off thats for sure.

Bez

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Excellent!! :clap :clap After hearing this review is bad I will NOT be buying one.

No it has nothing to do with me having no money or any for the foreseeable future!! :cry

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'd be inclined to wait and see what owners think of the bike rather than the press, they live and ride in the real world after all ;)

I'm hoping to see some really in-depth reviews from those who've ordered their CBs, especially in comparison with their current/previous bikes.

Let's not forget, MCN slagged off the FZ1 when it was relieased but I've yet to find an FZ1 owner who agrees with them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
very true Jjon. One of my mates has a yellow '06 FZ1 and he loves it, actually traded his R1 for it and has had it from new. Also he gets MCN every week and reckons they are very pro Suzuki and everything else seems to get slated, well the Jap stuff at least.

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
Yes indeed... keep things in perspective... for a start are the comparisons realistic.... the bikes are all unique in their own ways and a bike that suits one person will not suit another...

The 900 Hornet got a slating.... the VFR800 Vtec did too and so did the FZ1 (06) - to which Yamaha reacted... changed the bikes fueling and ECU to resolve the snatchy throttle and it still got slated for then being too subdued..... YOU JUST CAN'T WIN...... and frankly I don't think many of the magazines are quite as unbiased as they would like you to believe... advertising is big business remember.

Despite what the mags have said I have owned the 900, VFR and 07 FZ1... they have all been very good in different ways and arguably the one that gets the worst reviews (the 900 Hornet) was probably the best all-rounder for me. I'm looking forward to test riding the CB1000R, in my own mind I'll know right away if it is a winner or loser...... I suggest you all do the same @thumbup

·
Registered
109 Posts
what they don't test is reliability, my friend bought a KTM 950 sm, after 2000km ( on holiday in France ) low oil pressure.
RC8 has bad seals and the gearbox isn't right. maintenace kosts are high

Honda maybe a little boring but is starts every day, low maintenace kosts and still fun to ride !

somethimes they say honda is to easy and boring, no kick in the butt. on a ZX10 you get a kick on 9000rpm, I think it's just bad ecu mapping.

gr T

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
I did notice the prices were massively higher than the Honda. I don't understand how everyone else seems to love it, until this one article. Where's RobyGE with his personal opinion of his bike when you need him?

·
Registered
320 Posts
The difference between this review and all of the others is that this is the only review that puts the Honda up against the cream of the class and while I agree with many of the points made, especially MCN being pro Suzuki, it would be a fool who would think that a bike that is new from the bottom up could compete straight out of the box with the others, all of which have two or three years development behind them. The FZ1 did have fucked fuelling when it came out, Yamaha admitted it and changed it, and I'm sure that Mr H. will listen to the buyers when it comes to developing the CB.

FFS we all know that the KTM and the Speed Triple are awesome bikes, (even though my preference is for the FZ1 and possibly the Street Triple over the Speed Triple), why are you all surprised? The very fact that the Honda wasn't completely embarrassed in such exalted company is testament to the fact that Honda has got it more or less right, although the top end is, for me, disappointing. The bike simply needs a little more development.

Jounalists on road tests will always ride a bike at 10/10ths. I don't know many people that can ride their bike at 9/10ths let alone balls out so basically the differences between these bikes are likely to be too small for the like of you and me to notice. Follow Dans excellent advice, ride them all and then make your own mind up.

Jerry

·
Registered
96 Posts
well said Jerry :):)

i for one wouldnt be able to ride anywhere near the level required to worry about most of the things they mentioned as being negative points.

Bez

·
Registered
382 Posts
Totally agree with the other posters above, try the bikes out for yourself before making an 'informed' choice.

I'm looking to move from my CBR600RR as I just don't ride at the level necessary to get anything like the best from this bike. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic bike but it is no good for my style of riding right now.

As an aside, I tried a Street Triple the other day and found it to be really comfortable and has a fantastic engine. Unfortunately it looks like it would melt in the sun if you left it out let alone survive an English winter so I've ruled it out. Took the opportunity to sit on a Speed Triple and found it uncomfortable ... doesn't fit my body. If I listened to MCN I'd take a Speed Triple over a CB1000R any day however as it doesn't fit me what is the point ? Before deciding on getting a CB1000R I'll also have a go on a 600 Hornet .... I don't need the biggest toy in the playground, just the one the suits me best.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts